Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Carboy w/ Spigot vs Reg Carboy+Auto-Siphon??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2009, 05:44 AM   #1
mikeyp123
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Carboy w/ Spigot vs Reg Carboy+Auto-Siphon??

I'm debating on whether to get a carboy with a spigot or just a regular carboy and use an auto siphon to get it into the bottling bucket (the carboy is going to be used as a secondary)... any input on this would be awsome. Thanks.
-Mike

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2009, 06:05 AM   #2
brian_g
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I didn't know they had carboys with spigots. Are you planning on bottling from the carboy or are you going to rack into a bottling bucket for bottling? If your thinking of using the spigot to transfer to the bottling bucket, I think the auto-siphon is the better option. I think you can get a better rack (leave more sediment behind) from a siphon then from a spigot. Down sides to spigot: they need to be cleaned threads and all, they can leak. Down sides to auto-siphon: people tend to break them, have problems with them. Mine works great, haven't had any problems. I'm not sure why other people have reported difficulties.
If it were me I'd probably go with the auto siphon option unless you want to bottle right from the carboy, then I'd go with the spigot.

Old 06-24-2009, 03:22 PM   #3
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Go with the auto-siphon or FlyGuys T-siphon.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 06-24-2009, 03:38 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2767 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

The Betterbottle with spigot is nice I guess....But I don't feel that it's worth the money...That's almost double the price of the better bottle itself.

My vote is autosiphon and regular betterbottle.

I'd rather spend the extra money on grain and hops.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-24-2009, 05:06 PM   #5
Bluelinebrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Here's my 2 cents.... bottling bucket with spigot for bottling. Auto-siphon for racking from secondary/primary into the bottling bucket. I wouldn't waste money on the spigot for the carboy. You could probably get a bottling bucket with spigot for around $20-$25, and an auto-siphon for around $10. Much better deal than the amount you'd have to pay for a carboy (I'm assuming better bottle) with spigot. But again, just my 2 cents worth...

http://www.bluelinebrewer.com

Like my page on Facebook!

Quick Reply