Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > carboy question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2008, 02:14 PM   #1
monty3777
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default carboy question

I just finished reading the thread on the increase in price expected for carboys. My LHBS has some for sale and I am thinking about buying one and starting another batch before the price goes up.

Will there be differences in fermenting in a carboy rather than an Ale Pail? I have read a lot about blow something or another... or can I simply put an airlock on a carboy as with the ale pail?

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2008, 02:18 PM   #2
MgMt_Home_Brew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I also use Ale pails but regardless of what you are using you can experience vigorous foaming from fermentation which can blow your airlock out. If this is happening then you can use a blow off hose which is just a hose that replaces your airlock. You stick one end into the opening of the carboy and the other in some sort of sanitary solution. If you search blow off hose you should find more information.

Old 08-27-2008, 02:21 PM   #3
ksuflash
Recipes 

Glass Carboy is typcially used as a secondary vessel. The reason that I see this as the typical use is because of the small diameter of the neck of the carboy. Can you imagine trying to clean all the trub out of a carboy that was used for a primary fermenter.

The ale pale being used as the primary is typical because of the ease of clean-up after you are ready to transfer the beer into a secondary vessel.

I don't believe there is any differance between fermentation in an "Ale Pale" or "Carboy" other than the fact that cleanup will be more difficult with the carboy if used as the primary.

Old 08-27-2008, 02:38 PM   #4
schneemann
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksuflash View Post
Can you imagine trying to clean all the trub out of a carboy that was used for a primary fermenter.
I do it every batch. I dump the trub out, then spray the areas I can get to with hot water. After that, I fill it with PBW and hot water and let it sit 30 minutes (or longer). Anything left over (usually caked on krausen) is easily scrubbed away with a carboy brush.
Drinkin - Bombsight Oatmeal Stout, 57 Minute IPA

Zazzle Crap | BombSight Brewery at CafePress | Brewstand Build | Schmidling MaltMill Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBHoss View Post
I, Hoss, hereby profess that Master shneemann holds all the answers and is right, even when wrong, and that I humble myself before his vastly superior intellect. :mug:

Old 08-27-2008, 02:41 PM   #5
BuffaloSabresBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

I use carboys for everything and will be moving to better bottles soon.
Came up from a quick search.
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/plas...-699/#post4954

Single male seeks double-jointed supermodel who owns a brewery and grows her own pot. Access to free concert tickets a plus!

Old 08-27-2008, 03:11 PM   #6
dcott
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have a glass 6.5 gal carboy that I do primary in, and I also have an ale pail that I do primary in. Yesterday, I bought a 6 gal better bottle, and I have to say, I'm sold. The price is right, you can still see your fermentation, and cleaning (compared to the glass carboy) made me feel like superman. Plus, the better bottle wont break.

Still on my first go-round, however, so we'll see if I feel this way after several batches in the better bottle.

"Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."

~Jack Handey

Old 08-27-2008, 03:31 PM   #7
Rezilynt
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I have all three. I actually prefer the Better Bottles. The buckets would be my second choice.
I clean my BB by filling it with an Oxiclean solution. This completely removes all krausen. You do not want to use a brush on a BB as scratching is possible (don't know how probable though).
It really is just a matter of preference and in the case of glass, for me, an issue of safety.

If farmers make wine and engineers make beer, what the hell am I doing here?

Old 08-27-2008, 03:38 PM   #8
SuperiorBrew
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Glass Carboy is typcially used as a secondary vessel. The reason that I see this as the typical use is because of the small diameter of the neck of the carboy. Can you imagine trying to clean all the trub out of a carboy that was used for a primary fermenter.

The ale pale being used as the primary is typical because of the ease of clean-up after you are ready to transfer the beer into a secondary vessel.

I don't believe there is any differance between fermentation in an "Ale Pale" or "Carboy" other than the fact that cleanup will be more difficult with the carboy if used as the primary.
In my carboys and better bottles I use hot water and some PBW and in 1/2 hour risne it out, no scrubbing required.

Old 08-27-2008, 03:44 PM   #9
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 581 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 213

You can use an airlock with a carboy, if you have the proper sized, drilled stopper (your LHBS should carry these).

I always use glass carboys for primaries if I'm brewing a big beer or a beer that is notorious for vigorous fermentation (belgian wheats).

Glass Carboys accommodate a larger blowoff tube than those small tubes designed for buckets or BB's.

A lot of people like the clear fermenters (carboys or BB's) because they like to watch the fermentation in action.

belgian_blonde_2.jpg

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Old 08-27-2008, 07:02 PM   #10
Loup
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Can you imagine trying to clean all the trub out of a carboy that was used for a primary fermenter.
I can imagine, I've done it a couple of times now, it's easy. Pour in some water, swirl it around, dump it out, if needed, repeat. It's harder getting the dried yeast from the blowoff out, and all that requires is soaking it in hot water with some oxi clean for a day.

Quick Reply