Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Carboy Cleansing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2010, 09:14 AM   #21
Spludge
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo View Post
Any reason for this statement?

I use household bleach for cleaning all my plastic and
glass utensils including dirty carboys. Works a charm for me, and I have never had any issues using it as long as I rinse it well with hot water before I use my star-san to sanitize.
I don't have a strong basis for that statement, sounds like it works for you. I just can't see spending all the money, effort and time on brewing and then using bleach as my sanitizer, it is such a strong chemical. Is it only to save a few bucks? I can see using it in a pinch, but besides that I am willing to spend money on StarSans or OxyClean.

Schadenfreud Brewing
Beer and hockey, the reasons I wake up every afternoon

Fermenting
Jamil's Russian Imperial Stout, RIS Partigyle, BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde, Denny Conn RyeIPA, BierMuncher's B.W. #2

Bottle Conditioning/Drinking
Jamil's ESB, Honey Raspberry,EdWort's Bavarian Hefe, Oatmeal Stout, Jamil's Amber Ale, BierMuncher's Belgian Wit, Red Ale, Kitchen Sink, Yeasty Beasty Hefe, American Pale, Zone Zero Black, Maibock

Foster School of Business

Husky Ice Hockey

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2010, 09:44 AM   #22
C3Candy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spludge View Post
Don't use the household bleach
Why not use household bleach?

Old 10-12-2010, 10:18 AM   #23
jollytim
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Nothing wrong with bleach. Granted, in the strength that it is in the bottle, it is a strong chemical, however, at the diluted strength that you are supposed to use to sanitize, it is actually quite safe. You could drink it at that strength.... not that I'm advocating that... but chlorine is used in public water supplies. It is used in slightly stronger quantities in swimming pools. Ever swallowed swimming pool water? Even accidentally? The CDC even has a ratio for a 'no rinse' dilution of bleach in water.

We used bleach for decades, long before Star-San became the defacto standard. Of course, the newer, more 'main stream' sanitizers are more convenient, and quicker, but they are no more effective than bleach. (Though I do admit they are more forgiving when splashed on your favorite shirt...... yes, I did that).

I don't buy that Iodophor/Star-San are better suited, just better marketed at the homebrew market. Of course they have their selling points. But to try to discredit bleach as a viable alternative is just ridiculous. It has a MUCH longer track record....

It boils down to what you like. I have NO problem recommending bleach, nor would I hesitate to recommend Star-San or Iodophor. They work, period.

Old 10-12-2010, 09:16 PM   #24
betelgeuse4721
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

Thanks everyone for sharing your ideas. Im glad I started a feud over using bleach, funny to see some peoples reactions. I got some good info tho, keep on keepin on my friends

Old 10-13-2010, 12:03 AM   #25
Strangebird
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

It's extremely unlikely that you'll damage a carboy with a carboy brush. Glass has a hardness of 6-7 on the Mohs Hardness Scale. Iron and steel have a hardness of 4-4.5. So those materials are incapable of scratching glass. A brush made with hardened steel which has a hardness of 7.5-8 could. But my guess is that its unlikely they would use that for this purpose. You could chip it if you were to impact the glass somehow. But that would probably take some effort.

I'm sure my parents would be proud to see that their hard-earned money spent on my geology degree is going to good use.

Old 10-13-2010, 07:49 AM   #26
trubled
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germelli1 View Post
Here is the inventor of StarSan talking about it:http://media.libsyn.com/media/basicb...br03-29-07.mp3
excellent.

Quick Reply