Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Carboy Cleansing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2010, 10:14 PM   #11
boo boo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spludge View Post
Don't use the household bleach
Any reason for this statement?

I use household bleach for cleaning all my plastic and
glass utensils including dirty carboys. Works a charm for me, and I have never had any issues using it as long as I rinse it well with hot water before I use my star-san to sanitize.

How do you BBQ an elephant....first you get your elephant....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2010, 10:22 PM   #12
Germelli1
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 19

You can even use bleach as a no rinse sanatizer as the creater of Star San reccomends

If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, I would spend 6 sharpening my axe. ~Abe Lincoln

Old 10-11-2010, 10:24 PM   #13
boo boo
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germelli1 View Post
You can even use bleach as a no rinse sanatizer as the creater of Star San reccomends

You can, but in my case, I found that with my water it leaves a phenolic taste in my brew without a good and proper rinse.

How do you BBQ an elephant....first you get your elephant....

Old 10-11-2010, 10:26 PM   #14
trubled
Recipes 

There are a list of reasons not to use bleach but mainly it is a serious pain to rinse off and its sterilizing qualities would impact yeast. Put a couple drops on your hand and see how much rinsing is required. There are also adverse chemical pathways with the presence of chlorine.

Old 10-11-2010, 10:35 PM   #15
jfr1111
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Bleach works just fine and has been used by thousands of homebrewers. But it doesn't mean that it isn't a royal pain and that it is as consistent as other methods. You have to measure just right and acidify it plus it isn't as intuitive to use as other cleaning/sanitizing methods.

The 1oz bleach, 1oz vinegar, 5 gal water method recommended by the creator of StarSan to sanitize still leaves the carboy smelling faintly of bleach and vinegar. It doesn't mean that the beer will do (it doesn't), but if your water is already high in chlorine, it can be a gamble (it most probably isn't, but Boo boo reports that it does for him).

Personally, I use bleach right now, but it sure is a PITA, mainly when it is used as a cleaner since you have to rinse and rinse and rinse some more. With a glass carboy, that can be a hassle and even dangerous since you have to manhandle the damn thing for minutes at a time.

Old 10-11-2010, 10:35 PM   #16
Germelli1
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trubled View Post
There are a list of reasons not to use bleach but mainly it is a serious pain to rinse off and its sterilizing qualities would impact yeast. Put a couple drops on your hand and see how much rinsing is required. There are also adverse chemical pathways with the presence of chlorine.
Of course if you pour undiluted bleach on your hand it is going to take a bunch of rinses to get it off...I bet the same goes for starsan or idophor...what kind of arguement is that? Neither Starsan or Idophor as well as any other no rinse sanatizer will make good beer if they are used undiluted.

You can dilute it properly and not be able to smell it, or taste it...yet it still sanatizes as well as StarSan. Here is the inventor of StarSan talking about it:http://media.libsyn.com/media/basicb...br03-29-07.mp3

If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, I would spend 6 sharpening my axe. ~Abe Lincoln

Old 10-11-2010, 10:38 PM   #17
Germelli1
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo View Post
You can, but in my case, I found that with my water it leaves a phenolic taste in my brew without a good and proper rinse.
That is most likely because your water uses Chlormites, instead of the chlorine that is in bleach. Chloromites are a much mor estable version of chlorine that doesn't evaporate. With the exact dilution ratios that JFR listed, the chlorine in the bleach evaporates out, making it a perfect no rinse santizer...even if it didn't, at that ratio the beach is below the taste threashold.

Old 10-11-2010, 10:52 PM   #18
Strave19
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Since the OP only has bleach and some cleaner on hand, I'd put a few cap-fulls of bleach in the carboy and top it off with warm water. Let it soak for an hour or so and scrub as necessary, then rinse, viola! I've used this method several times, the smell rinses out quickly and you've sanitized the crap out of it (need to sanatize with a no rinse b4 adding wort of course...though some apparently use bleach as a no-rinse) I find that generic Oxy-clean works quick for this too. I have scented, and it washes off fine, but would probably look for unscented next time just for $hits and giggles

Side Note: I think I'm going to start bleach bombing my autosyphon, tubing, spigot, bottleing bucket, and other high-contact items every several brews. Maybe overkill, but only my current starsan-only sanitation has me a bit worried... Selection pressure being so high and all. Plus bleach is dirt cheap, and is a good cleaner on top of its everything-killing ability.

Old 10-11-2010, 10:56 PM   #19
trubled
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germelli1 View Post
Of course if you pour undiluted bleach on your hand it is going to take a bunch of rinses to get it off...I bet the same goes for starsan or idophor...what kind of arguement is that? Neither Starsan or Idophor as well as any other no rinse sanatizer will make good beer if they are used undiluted.

You can dilute it properly and not be able to smell it, or taste it...yet it still sanatizes as well as StarSan. Here is the inventor of StarSan talking about it:http://media.libsyn.com/media/basicb...br03-29-07.mp3
Even diluted (or heavily diluted like jfr1111's recipe) it has a tendency to glom onto the walls of the glass and requires a series of rinsing. This compounded with the problematic chemical reactions and chlorine treated water it seems far more of a hassle than the alternatives which arent all that costly.

will listen to the podcast.

Old 10-11-2010, 11:54 PM   #20
Germelli1
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trubled View Post
Even diluted (or heavily diluted like jfr1111's recipe) it has a tendency to glom onto the walls of the glass and requires a series of rinsing. This compounded with the problematic chemical reactions and chlorine treated water it seems far more of a hassle than the alternatives which arent all that costly.

will listen to the podcast.
I actually use star san for all my sanatizing, but I ran out a few weeks ago and researched the hell out of using chlorine bleach as a sanatize. I only use it in a pinch, or for specific cleaning purposes (soaking mash tun to kill anything, soaking bottles from other sources).

It is just after I finished researching making acidified bleach sanatizer I realized how much misinformation is passed around about bleach. I would never reccomend bleach over starsan/idophor for regular use, but I like giving the FACTS so people can make their OWN opinions like the opinion you just presented! (which I agree with)

Bleach is a cheap and realiable go to sanatizer/cleanser. Starsan/idophor are relatively cheap and much better suited for homebrewing applications!

Quick Reply