Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Carboy Cleaning

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2012, 05:13 PM   #1
inturnldemize
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Carboy Cleaning

Man, these things are hard to clean! I realized I hadn't completely cleaned off all the crud from the last brew. It seemed pretty damn clean but a closer look revealed little brown dots (either malt or yeast i'm guessing) on the top of the glass carboy (near the opening). I can't seem to fit anything in there and I don't have a carboy brush.

What I did now, is I added about 3/4 cup of bleach and filled it up to the top with water. I filled it up last night around 8 and I will empty it tonight around the same time. I'm hoping that will take care of it.

But man, carboys are a PITA to clean!

Lesson learned: Clean your carboys PROPERLY right after you brew. Don't wait.

"Beer fermentation is the most ugly, yet beautiful thing a home brewer can experience." -Me

Please, people, for the love of beer, do not drink your brew out of the bottle. Beer is a beautiful thing and the least it deserves is a clean glass.

Follow A&M Beer Reviews on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/AM-Beer-Reviews/343042525716025

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2012, 05:17 PM   #2
Misplaced_Canuck
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 132 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 41

1 or 2 measures of oxy-clean and fill to the top with warm water. Let soak overnight. Done.

MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebstauffer
Needless to say after more than a few drams my mental efficiency matched my mashing efficiency.

Old 05-30-2012, 05:22 PM   #3
Fasswerker
Recipes 

I would really suggest investing a few buck in a carboy brush. It will save you hours of hassle. Try picking up some Oxiclean Free (good) or PBW cleaner (best) and let your carboy soak. You'll probably get most if not all of the critters off with those. Again though, your best option is a brush. Nothing like good ol' elbow grease.

Fasswerker
Proprietor, Fasswerks Brewing Co.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer."
Frank Zappa

Old 05-30-2012, 05:26 PM   #4
inturnldemize
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Do you guys think bleach will do the job as well? It's soaking up in bleach right now.

"Beer fermentation is the most ugly, yet beautiful thing a home brewer can experience." -Me

Please, people, for the love of beer, do not drink your brew out of the bottle. Beer is a beautiful thing and the least it deserves is a clean glass.

Follow A&M Beer Reviews on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/AM-Beer-Reviews/343042525716025

Old 05-30-2012, 05:27 PM   #5
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 26

carboy cleaner..fast easy and effective

BALDGUT BREWS

Old 05-30-2012, 05:32 PM   #6
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 610 Times on 517 Posts
Likes Given: 165

Assuming this is a glass carboy. If it is a Better Bottle do not use a brush. A washcloth stuffed inside with about 1/2 gallon hot water and swirl it around.

With the bleach rinse it very well after the soak.

Oxyclean or Walmart's brand Sun? "something" are cheap and go a long way. Make sure you get the perfume free variety.

Old 05-30-2012, 05:34 PM   #7
JeffoC6
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 28 Posts

I put a bunch of uncooked rice in my carboy, fill it with some water, and shake. Usually removes any "gunk"...Then I fill it with cleaner and hot water and let it sit for an hour.

Planned:
Prim #1: Ed Wort's Bavarian Hefe
Prim #2:
Prim #3:
Prim #4:
Prim #5:
Prim #6:
Bottled: Saddle-Up IPA, Leaf House IPA

Old 05-30-2012, 06:16 PM   #8
Calichusetts
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 244 Times on 173 Posts
Likes Given: 647

Oxyclean soak for about an hour....I use extremely hot water at first and shake it up...I also do another oxy soak the day before I use it again so its sparkling clean by then

Old 05-30-2012, 06:45 PM   #9
inturnldemize
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Where can I buy this oxyclean you all speak of? Is it that thing they sell on infomercials late at night?? lol

Old 05-30-2012, 06:50 PM   #10
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by inturnldemize View Post
Where can I buy this oxyclean you all speak of? Is it that thing they sell on infomercials late at night?? lol
Most stores carry some form of oxygen based cleaner these days, even at dollar stores. You just want an unscented.

Basically it's just a Sodium percarbonate cleanser. The bubbles break down any crud easily.

I haven't needed anything beyond that and a Jet bottle/carboy rinser to clean bottles or carboys.

I have a kitchen faucet to garden hose adapter to use on my kitchen sink.

Couple hour to overnight soak with hot water followed by a rinse with the jet rinser is all it ever has needed. No muss and no fuss.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply