The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Carboy at 75, Wort at 90 -- Fill the Carboy?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2011, 08:12 PM   #1
maltoftheearth
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Default Carboy at 75, Wort at 90 -- Fill the Carboy?

I am sitting here with 90 degree wort, it is too hot outside to cool it any further (30 minutes with the chiller got it to 90 degrees!)

I am thinking of just dumping the wort in my carboy (75F) and then placing in my freezer (70F.) Is that OK? I am worried that the temperature change might make the carboy crack.

I am not adding yeast at this point BTW -- I am letting the carboy cool overnight before adding yeast. Yes, I risk infection but my starter was too small and I didn't realize until I started today's brewing. I have a big step up starter going right now to use tomorrow.

Kegged (as of 5/14): Rye IPA, Honey Sage Ale, Belgian Golden Strong, California Common, Bavarian Style Lager, Weizen, Coffee Stout

Long range forecast: Douze clone, Gruit

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2011, 08:17 PM   #2
Chia
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 29

i think you will be fine, add it slowly, it will raise the temp and will take a good few hours to cool it down in freezer! go for it!!

Whitener Street Brewing Co.

Old 08-28-2011, 08:21 PM   #3
eastoak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 144 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 83

if you have a kettle with a valve you could slowly fill the carboy and you would be ok. if you don't have a valve on the kettle you could leave the lid on the kettle and let the wort cool overnight, probably the safest option. i let my wort sit overnight, so that the trub really settles down, and have never had a problem. i don't see the point to underpitching. sometimes i use the fresh wort for making a starter overnight then pitch the whole thing without decanting.

Old 08-28-2011, 08:23 PM   #4
Hatchbrew
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

The carboy will be fine with 90* liquid

Old 08-28-2011, 08:25 PM   #5
maltoftheearth
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Thanks for the support! I do have a valve and have been straining my wort through a cheesecloth on its way into the carboy so I'll do that now and pitch tomorrow. That's a great idea about using wort for the starter, if this beer wasn't high gravity (1.076) I would try it.

Kegged (as of 5/14): Rye IPA, Honey Sage Ale, Belgian Golden Strong, California Common, Bavarian Style Lager, Weizen, Coffee Stout

Long range forecast: Douze clone, Gruit

Old 08-28-2011, 09:00 PM   #6
paraordnance
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

There is absolutely nothing to worry about with later pitching. If your sanitation is good and fermenter is sealed its fine to pitch 12 hours later. I prefer to get my wort and yeast to required temperature and pitch later rather than immediately in fear of infection

Sent from GT-I9100M

Quick Reply