Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Carbonation Time

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2013, 01:02 AM   #1
Chuck2705
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Carbonation Time

I am a first time brewer, today I sampled my first batch of American Amber and it had a very good taste and body; however, it didn't have the carbonation (head) that I was expecting. I bottled exactly two weeks ago, is it common to have to extend the carbonation period?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2013, 01:08 AM   #2
olz431
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 15

3 week minimum at 70*

Mmmmmmm BEER.
Primary 1: Citrarillo IPA
Primary 2: Big Baltic Porter
Primary 3: Full Nelson Pale Ale
Secondary 1/ Primary 4: Rochefort 9
Primary 5:
Bottled: Zombie Dust, Yoopers House Ale, DFH 90 clone, Two Hearted Ale, Dead Guy, Dundalk Irish Heavy

Hammy71 Likes This 
Old 04-08-2013, 01:17 AM   #3
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 502 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 226

Patience is the hardest part of brewing......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 04-08-2013, 01:18 AM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2777 Times on 1661 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

The 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer. Beers stored cooler than 70, take longer.

Stouts and porters have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to carb up..I have a 1.090 Belgian strong that took three months to carb up.

Temp and gravity are the two factors that contribute to the time it takes to carb beer. But if a beer's not ready yet, or seems low carbed, and you added the right amount of sugar to it, then it's not stalled, it's just not time yet.

Everything you need to know about carbing and conditioning, can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience."

Carbing is foolprrof. You ad the right amount of sugar, leave it at the right temp, and it will carb.

If a beer isn't carbed by "x number of weeks" you just have to give them more time. If you added your sugar, then the beer will carb up eventually, it's really a foolroof process. All beers will carb up eventually. A lot of new brewers think they have to "troubleshoot" a bottling issue, when there really is none, the beer knows how to carb itself. In fact if you run beersmiths carbing calculator, some lower grav beers don't even require additional sugar to reach their minimum level of carbonation. Just time.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-08-2013, 02:05 AM   #5
Chuck2705
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thank you for your help, I will be more patient and let the beer take over the carbonation. Your help and advice is greatly appreciated.

Old 04-08-2013, 06:56 AM   #6
Cyclman
I Sell Koalas
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 449 Times on 391 Posts
Likes Given: 144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
The 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer. Beers stored cooler than 70, take longer.

Stouts and porters have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to carb up..I have a 1.090 Belgian strong that took three months to carb up.

Temp and gravity are the two factors that contribute to the time it takes to carb beer. But if a beer's not ready yet, or seems low carbed, and you added the right amount of sugar to it, then it's not stalled, it's just not time yet.

Everything you need to know about carbing and conditioning, can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience."

Carbing is foolprrof. You ad the right amount of sugar, leave it at the right temp, and it will carb.

If a beer isn't carbed by "x number of weeks" you just have to give them more time. If you added your sugar, then the beer will carb up eventually, it's really a foolroof process. All beers will carb up eventually. A lot of new brewers think they have to "troubleshoot" a bottling issue, when there really is none, the beer knows how to carb itself. In fact if you run beersmiths carbing calculator, some lower grav beers don't even require additional sugar to reach their minimum level of carbonation. Just time.
LISTEN to the Revvy, or be damned to eternally bad beer.

We are blessed to have such brewing jedis to seek advice from.

Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime! Bill Owen quote

Join the Beacon Point (Aurora, CO) Brewclub on Facebook- casual, fun brewing, drinking, socializing!

Old 04-08-2013, 03:11 PM   #7
geoffm33

Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 171

Has there been a movement to get a sticky with Revvy's bottle carbing info?

When I asked yesterday, it opened up my eyes to just how often it is asked, daily!

Great info, should be stickied.

Old 04-08-2013, 03:12 PM   #8
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffm33 View Post
Has there been a movement to get a sticky with Revvy's bottle carbing info?

When I asked yesterday, it opened up my eyes to just how often it is asked, daily!

Great info, should be stickied.
The entire bottling thread IS stickied.....

Just goes to show that no one looks at stickies to even see if they've been stickified.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-08-2013, 03:17 PM   #9
geoffm33

Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 171

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
The entire bottling thread IS stickied.....

Just goes to show that no one looks at stickies to even see if they've been stickified.
I understand that the bottling thread is stickied...in the Bottling/Kegging section.

But many newbies may not venture outside the beginners section until they get more comfortable.

Old 04-08-2013, 03:24 PM   #10
Revvy

Recipes 

Well, that's kinda silly.

If people use the "new posts" button, then the WHOLE forum is shown, it doesn't really matter where a thread is located.

Quick Reply