Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Carbonation Temp

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2011, 11:21 PM   #1
mgortel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Carbonation Temp

Quickie question on carbonation temperature.....

Normally I put my bottled beer in my upstair office in the closet to carbonate....but decided to put in my basement which is in the range of
65-68 F. Only reason being that I have (4) 5-gallon batches and cannot load them up in my office...hahah

Is this to cool of an area for carbonation? Or will it maybe just take a little longer to carbonate?

I plan on testing a beer each week to see how it progresses as an experiment.

EVERYONE is entitled to my opinion!

Primary #1: Fat Tire Clone
Primary #2: Oatmeal Stout
Primary #3: Empty

Upcoming Brews:
English Pale Ale

Bottled:
Biermuncher Centennail Blonde

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2011, 11:38 PM   #2
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 39

65 - 68F is probably OK for carbonation, but it will take a bit longer. However, I question your assumption that your basement really is in that temperature range. I can't imagine that your basement temperature would be very different than mine, but last time I measured it (about 1 minute ago) it was 57F. I put the thermometer in a case of beer that was resting on the floor. 57F is probably too cold for carbonation.

-a.

There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Old 06-05-2011, 11:57 PM   #3
mgortel
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Thanks....thats what I figured....

But...yes, it is actually 66F in my basement right now. Checked with (2) dfferent thermometers

EVERYONE is entitled to my opinion!

Primary #1: Fat Tire Clone
Primary #2: Oatmeal Stout
Primary #3: Empty

Upcoming Brews:
English Pale Ale

Bottled:
Biermuncher Centennail Blonde

Old 06-05-2011, 11:59 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2750 Times on 1649 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

It will take a little longer...those few degrees may not mean much to us but to the yeasties it does. So expect it to take a week or more longer than it would at 70.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply