Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Carbonation Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2014, 01:15 AM   #11
Nuggethead
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I don't know if this will work or not, maybe someone will chime in if I'm having a senior moment, These bottles have been carbing for 2 weeks, so there is still some carbonation yet to occur. Would it work to chill the bottles to help put the C02 into solution and then carefully uncap them to release the current over pressure and then recap and let carbonation continue?????

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2014, 03:36 AM   #12
Puddlethumper
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 223 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 192

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggethead View Post
I don't know if this will work or not, maybe someone will chime in if I'm having a senior moment, These bottles have been carbing for 2 weeks, so there is still some carbonation yet to occur. Would it work to chill the bottles to help put the C02 into solution and then carefully uncap them to release the current over pressure and then recap and let carbonation continue?????
I tried that with a batch I overcarbed early in my brewing because someone here suggested it. I couldn't see where it did all that much good. I uncapped a case and a half of beer and left them on the kitchen table for a couple of hours and then re-capped them all. Didn't have gushers but I still had to open them over the kitchen sink and it took a while to pour a glass.

The good news is the beer tasted just fine. And it sure would be worth a try.

--------

Beer ----

--- the reason I wake up every afternoon.

------

Old 04-20-2014, 01:56 PM   #13
Nagorg
If a frog had wings...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRausch View Post
You know, they always package 5oz. and if you use a priming calculator it rarely calls for more than
4.3oz.
I do feel better about your situation after reading you used 5oz. for 50 bottles. That should not be dangerous, assuming you were truly at FG. Just e x t r a foamy. Chill them well. Good Luck!
5 oz for a 5 gallon batch isn't only *safe but it's what I use every time I bottle a batch. Carbonation levels in beer is as much a style guideline as it is personal preference. (*safe: assumes fermentation was finished)

To me, most beers seem undercarbed when using less than 5oz/5gal. In fact, I once had a judge comment that a Blonde Ale I entered could be more carbonated for style. I used 5.2oz in that 5 gallon batch.

It's also worth noting that I use Turbinado Cane sugar which tends to ferment easier than corn sugar.

So I don't think the amount of priming sugar is the cause of foaming. You should chill one down and see if that helps.

Can you tell us how you sanitized everything at bottle time? Did you boil the water/priming sugar mixture, etc..?

Old 04-21-2014, 06:47 AM   #14
shortyz
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

thats very strange.. 5oz's is fine. hell ive used a cup and a half on my wits and thats still ok.

Quick Reply