Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Carbonation Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2010, 04:12 AM   #1
Pommy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Carbonation Question

OK so a quick question, Ive read a few threads but havent really found the deffinitive answer so far and my internet is playing up so its easier just to ask.

Ive had a bitter (OG:1.048) bottled a month ago today and it has probably been sat too cold to carbonate and is still flat, the question is; will the yeast still be good to go now ive got them sat somewhere warmer?

Reading other theads Ive seen suggestions of adding more sugar but if I do that the beer is going to foam everywhere and Ill have bottle bombs if the yeast is going to make it, if not ill just have sweet, flat beer. The yeast was S-04 and the temps where around 15C (<60F)...

Also for anyone who finds this thread in the future how long would you expect an ale yeast such as this to lay dormant and still be able to carbonate when warmed up to room temps?

Cheers,

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2010, 04:18 AM   #2
Nurmey
I love making Beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts

Warming it will wake up the yeast. You may want to give your bottles a gentle roll to suspend the yeast and help them find the sugar.

Old 06-08-2010, 04:22 AM   #3
schoolmaster
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

+1 for the gentle roll to rouse the yeast. Give 'um a stir and wait a little longer.

Old 06-08-2010, 04:50 AM   #4
Pommy
Recipes 

yeah I gave them a (gentle) shake last night so I am hoping the yeast was just having a nap and will give me carbonation in the next week or two.

Old 06-08-2010, 01:21 PM   #5
halite
Recipes 

Should be no problem, the yeast in essence will have just gone into 'hibernation', should be fine once the temp gets up.

Kegged - Session Stout, Cascade IPA
Bottled - ISO Standard Stout, Steam Punk California, Session Stout

Old 06-08-2010, 08:31 PM   #6
Pommy
Recipes 

anyone ever have this same issue and managed to carb up the bottles weeks/months later? As we all have said the yeast should be fine but should I expect things to go as normal now or will there be a difference to how the beer would normally turn out?

Old 06-08-2010, 08:36 PM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2777 Times on 1661 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pommy View Post
anyone ever have this same issue and managed to carb up the bottles weeks/months later? As we all have said the yeast should be fine but should I expect things to go as normal now or will there be a difference to how the beer would normally turn out?
The yeast will wake up from their slumber like nothing happened, eat the sugar and carbonate the beer just fine. In the winter, in my loft where the ambient temps are only in the low 60's the beer takes forever to carb, but the minute the temps rise come spring, even the longest dormant bottle just seems to "pop." And they come up to carb perfectly.

Unless you froze the beer and burst the yeast cells, there's nothing to worry about.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-09-2010, 08:32 PM   #8
Pommy
Recipes 

cheers for that Revvy, that was the reassurance I was hoping for Certainly didnt freeze the beer at any point or get below 50F at the most so it may just mean all my beer will be ready at once, when the weather warms up a bit.

Old 06-13-2010, 07:05 AM   #9
Pommy
Recipes 

How can I tell if there is actually any yeast in there, should I try culture up a some from the bottle? Its flat as a pancake and Im getting worried. I didn't realise it was only a week since the OP so ill give it another two at room temps then if its still flat I will start to seriously worry and see if I can make some bubbles through an airlock with the stuff off the bottom of the offending bottle. Until then, I know RDWHAHB. I know its only a week but I was expecting some bubbles this time

Old 06-13-2010, 04:46 PM   #10
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2777 Times on 1661 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Just gotta have faith. The yeast are pros, they know what they are doing. If yeast can be harvested and beer brewed it's been encased in amber for 45 million years, then it can stand going from 60 to 70 degrees.

http://www.wired.com/science/discove...urrentPage=all

This happens all the time. In the winter my loft stays in the low 60's, beers take forever to carb. But the minute my ambient temps go above 70, they wake up and the beer goes fizz just fine.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply