Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Carbonation question?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2009, 10:39 PM   #1
avshockey311
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Carbonation question?

I just openend a Brown IPA that I bottled about 3 weeks ago. It was very carbonated when I first opened it. I poured it in to a glass, the first few drinks were nicely carbonated but then it seemed to become somewhat flat after that. Anyone got any thoughts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2009, 11:36 PM   #2
smizak
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Try chilling some for a week or two. Like I just posted in another thread, my beers tend to have a much nicer carbonation after the chill haze has settled out. It also takes a few days for the CO2 to dissolve into the beer after a temperature change. The gas in the headspace will dissolve into the beer more readily when it's colder, and it takes awhile for that to happen. I try to avoid throwing a beer into the freezer when it's warm and then opening it a half hour later for that reason. It might be cold, but the carbonation just isn't right.

"This song goes out to me because I'm so f*ckin' cool!"~John Reis

Old 11-13-2009, 11:44 PM   #3
jbambuti
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

You could leave it a while longer. Sounds like maybe the CO2 hasn't had enough time to go back into solution. Some of my beers, particularly the big ones, take longer. It looks like they're carbonated well at first, but they fizzle out pretty quickly. Some more conditioning time may very well take care of it.

Primary 2: Apfelwein

Primary 3: Air

Bottled: Hammered Squirrel Nut Brown Ale (btl. 5/9/10), Jamil's Evil Twin (btl. 3/29/10), Crazy Ivan RIS (btl. 2/14/10), English Pale Ale (btl. 12/29/09), Apfelwein

Up Next:

Old 11-13-2009, 11:48 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2747 Times on 1648 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Your beer may not yet be quite fully carbed. It may not have fully pulled the co2 into into solution yet. So you have an initlal release of co2 upon pouring but there's not enough there to stick around. I'd give it another week or two at 70 degrees and check back, I bet it will be perfect then.

I write about the carbonation/conditioning process here;

Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience."

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-13-2009, 11:58 PM   #5
Tripod
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I've found that 3 weeks to carb is a guideline at best and is really more like the minimum carb time. It's hard to be patient but my best results came when I was able to wait more like 8 to 12 weeks. Even then, I still crack one open along the way to be certain that they are carbing at all.

You can try gently lying the bottles on their side and rolling them a bit to rouse the yeast a little. That should get a little more carbing action. Try your best to wait several more weeks...you'll get better carbing and your flavors will have more time to meld.

-Tripod

Primary: First AG Batch! - Irish Red | Bottle: Oatmeal Stout| Drinking: Nearcastle II... | Up Next: It may be time to try a lager

5/2012

Quick Reply