Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Carbonation question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2006, 05:22 PM   #1
Catch20two
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Carbonation question

Hi,

I've just sampled my first batch after a week in the bottles. I know it is early I was just tasting it because I want to see how it develops over time.

There was barely any carbonation, and no head whatsoever. Is this normal after a week in the bottles? I was under the impression that the carbonation should occur relatively quickly, and the additional time in bottles was for conditioning. I'm a bit worried that a relatively good tasting beer is going to be ruined by a lack of carbonation.

I used the priming sugar that came with the brewers best ingredient kit. The bottles have been stored at ~68 F.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2006, 05:33 PM   #2
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 89 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The temp is on the low side. Place them in a warmer room (70-75F) for a couple of days to 1 more week.

The warmer the room the more you have to pay attention to them (sample) so you don't overcarb.

Old 07-23-2006, 05:55 PM   #3
Brewno
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I poured (fairly aggressively) and tasted mine after a week and it had no head and tasted like "drinking a glass of water that was trying to be carbonated". Basically it sucked all around, even in taste.
When it hit ten days I popped open another bottle and expecting the same, poured it straight down the middle thinking there would again be no head.
Well I was wrong! It gave me half a glass of head and I had to let it settle before pouring the rest. It tasted much better too. Now at three weeks it's real beer!!!

Tommy

Old 07-23-2006, 06:09 PM   #4
Catch20two
Recipes 

Thanks, I'll move it to a slightly warmer location.

Brewno, thats exactly what my experience was as far as the carbonation goes, aggressive pour and "trying to be carbonated." It's encouraging to hear that everything worked out well.

Old 07-23-2006, 06:16 PM   #5
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

You never told us what kind it is.

You could also take one bottle and place it in the fridge now and sample it tomorrow night. Sometimes that does wonders for HBs.

Old 07-23-2006, 06:30 PM   #6
Catch20two
Recipes 

Its the english brown ale brewers best kit, with white labs english ale yeast. I'll probably sample it again after it has sat for a few more days, and I'll put it in the fridge overnight before I do.

Old 07-23-2006, 06:54 PM   #7
D*Bo
Recipes 

Keeping it in a warm area won't cause it to over carbonate, the ammount of priming sugar will controll the carbonation.

The temp it is served at will vary the carbonation a bit. Colder liquids will absorb more gas. The warmer temp will allow more gas to come out of suspention when poured.

Another week to carbonate should do wonders. Most of minne sit around the same temps as yours has been with no issues.

Drinking Oatmeal Chocolate Stout, Oaked Bourbon Chocolate Stout, Dry Mead)
Up NextScottish ale and Dopple Bock

Always ready for the wack snack attack, I carry sandwiches around in a straight edge style JanSports backpack.

Support your local businesses

Old 07-23-2006, 07:43 PM   #8
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by D*Bo
Keeping it in a warm area won't cause it to over carbonate, the ammount of priming sugar will controll the carbonation...
If the temp is low (60s) it'll take longer to carbonate than if it is higher (70s).

The amount of sugar will not control the carbonation. It provides more food for the yeast to produce more CO2 to be absorbed by the beer (thus making carbonation).

Once the bottles have reached a carbonation level you desire then you can place all of it into the fridge to retard the process (render the yeast dormant).

Of course, all of this depends on the fact that you've allowed your beer to ferment all the way out or within the guidelines for the style.

Old 07-23-2006, 07:47 PM   #9
RichBrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catch20two
Hi,

I've just sampled my first batch after a week in the bottles. I know it is early I was just tasting it because I want to see how it develops over time.

There was barely any carbonation, and no head whatsoever. Is this normal after a week in the bottles? I was under the impression that the carbonation should occur relatively quickly, and the additional time in bottles was for conditioning. I'm a bit worried that a relatively good tasting beer is going to be ruined by a lack of carbonation.

I used the priming sugar that came with the brewers best ingredient kit. The bottles have been stored at ~68 F.
68 degrees is probably OK to carbonate but even if you put it in a warmer location, it will take another 2 weeks to be fully conditioned.
Don't worry about it yet.

Cheers,
Rich

Old 07-29-2006, 03:38 PM   #10
Catch20two
Recipes 

Well I checked again at the 13 day mark and there is still very little carbonation and no head when pouring down the center of the glass. I would say there was a small bit more carbonation then last time, and there is a small psst when opening the bottle, but still pretty flat.

Should I expect that it will continue to carbonate at a slow rate and eventually be at a high enough level, or is it just as likely that this is all I'm getting?

Quick Reply