New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Carbonation problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2009, 11:55 PM   #1
papamike
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Carbonation problem

Hi, I'm having some issues with carbonation. I had no problem before when primary 10 days then bottle. Now, I keg beer so carbonation was not a problem since I'm using forced CO2 carbonation. But, recently, I did couple batches of beer (bottled) for friend and alot complained about low carb or no carbonation at all. Since I keg, I let 7-10 days to primary and 1 week or 2 in secondary. I use Cooper sugar drops for my bottle (I'm using the same method since 2 years). So my question is, is it possible that all yeast or most of them are dead so no or not enough CO2 is produced? I have 2 weeks bottles with not pressure at all. Not even a small pshhht. Someone experienced the same thing? I have a batch to bottle for my father tomorrow, the beer spent 1 week primary, 3 weeks secondary and I'm kind of worried about bottling it since last batches were not ok.
Thanks for your help!

Pascal

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2009, 12:37 AM   #2
nakros
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I doubt the yeast is dead. I have had batches that I've neglected for 6 weeks in the primary and they've still carbed up just fine.

What temperature are you letting the bottles sit at for the first few weeks after bottling? The general rule of thumb is 3 weeks at 70f. Try warming the bottles up a bit for the first three weeks, or perhaps adding another sugar drop per bottle?

Old 07-18-2009, 12:43 AM   #3
HairyDogBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Since you're kegging, you also have the option of filling bottles from the keg.

www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/we-no-need-no-stinking-beer-gun-24678/

I usually bottle about half of every batch, after the carbonation is just right.

Old 07-18-2009, 12:57 AM   #4
papamike
Recipes 

Default Temp

I store my bottle at around 70 F. I'll try 2 drops next time. It still pretty weird. It's the first time I'm having issues with carbonation.

Pascal

Old 07-18-2009, 01:04 AM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2661 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3452

If it's under three weeks minimum and below 70 degrees (for NORMAL grav beers), when you are testing them, then there is nothing wrong but impatience...Storage temp, and gravity are the two most important important factors in carbing and conditioning...

Stouts and porters have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to carb up..I have a 1.090 Belgian strong that took three months to carb up.

ALL beers will reach their level of carbonation eventually. In fact, it's possible (and proven by running the numbers in beersmith) to NOT add priming sugar and get minimal carbonation of a few volumes in time (in old brewing british brewing books they didn't add sugar to some ordinary bitters, and milds and relied on time and temp to do the work naturally.)

What temp are you storing them at, if it is anything below 70 degrees it will take longer.

More info can be found here....Revvy's Blog, Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. There's even a video.

{b]you don't need to add more drops, nor is there anything wrong with your yeast...You just need to give it more time.....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-18-2009, 01:23 AM   #6
ajf

Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 39

In the case of stouts, I agree with Revvy. All my stouts seem to take a long time to carbonate, but they get there in the end.

-a.

There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Old 07-18-2009, 01:38 AM   #7
papamike
Recipes 

Ok... I'll wait. Thanks for your help.

By the way, I bought my fisrt star san bottle. It's fantastic for carboy, but can I use it with bottles? (Silly question I know, but want to make sure )

Pascal

Old 07-18-2009, 01:41 AM   #8
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2661 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3452

Quote:
Originally Posted by papamike View Post
Ok... I'll wait. Thanks for your help.

By the way, I bought my fisrt star san bottle. It's fantastic for carboy, but can I use it with bottles? (Silly question I know, but want to make sure )
Yep, starsan is good for all your brewing needs.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-18-2009, 01:43 AM   #9
papamike
Recipes 

Thanks Revvy, your answers are always very helpfull.

Pascal

Old 07-18-2009, 01:46 AM   #10
chefmike
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 10

yes, yes you can. As long as they are clean (scrubbed and rinsed initially, then rinsed and stored after pouring a brew).

I use one of those bottle trees that pumps a spray of sanitizer into the bottle. Very nifty... Actually it is borrowed... I need to buy one. But I have been keggin most recently. Probably back to bottles when I brew more in the winter.

Yeah, star san! some folks even do their caps with it....

Building: gardens, recipes, and trailer mounted smoker/ wood pizza oven

Quick Reply