Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Is carbonation in fermenter normal?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2012, 04:45 AM   #1
adam_d_j
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Is carbonation in fermenter normal?

I brewed a belgian wheat that has been in fermenter for almost 4 weeks now and when i opened the lid to take a gravity reading, I got a little hiss as though i were opening a beer bottle. I took a sample into a cylinder to take a reading and took a sip. Not bad but i felt a little fizzle on my tongue. So I held my hand over the top of the cylinder and shook it. when i took my hand off, I got a big hiss and about 3 inches of head inside the cylinder. Is this normal? I thought maybe my airlock was clogged. nope. This didn't happen for my first batch so I wasn't sure if this was normal or if there might be something wrong. OG was 1.045. current reading is 1.008. Had bubbles in airlock for the first six days. It has been silent since then.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2012, 04:52 AM   #2
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1270 Times on 845 Posts
Likes Given: 584

Nothing to fret about. Still liquids will super-saturate with gas during fermentation, and any amount of agitation will cause the excess gas to come out of solution.

"Be excellent to each other." -Benjamin Franklin

Old 01-05-2012, 05:04 AM   #3
adam_d_j
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Gotcha. Thanks for the quick response.

Quick Reply