Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Carbonation Errors - Adding more conditioning tablets?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2012, 03:05 AM   #1
Euripidez
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska
Posts: 83
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default Carbonation Errors - Adding more conditioning tablets?

For my first two batches I bottle conditioned with prime tab conditioning tabs.
I made a mistake with calculation of tabs because I bottled in 1L grolsch bottles, and my beers are coming out flat. Almost undrinkably flat.

I fully intend to use priming sugar for my latest brews, and have it measured out and ready with my bottling bucked, but with my remaining prime tabs, is there anything I can do? Would it work to pop them open, add 1-2 more tabs, and then re-seal? They are still conditioning at room temperature.

Thanks.
- Eur

__________________
Euripidez is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 12:54 PM   #2
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
unionrdr's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Sheffield, Ohio
Posts: 28,496
Liked 1924 Times on 1692 Posts
Likes Given: 1426

Default

Some of those small carb tabs need some 6 tabs for a 12oz bottle. Might've been better economicaly to just bulk prime. I used Cooper's carb tabs on my first couple batches,then went bulk prime. With bulk priming,bottle size doesn't matter. But you could try adding a few more per bottle.
__________________
Everything works if ya let it-Roady(meatloaf)
My new book is on Amazon Kindle! http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00L3MCU0W
unionrdr is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 12:59 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Revvy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: "Detroitish" Michigan
Posts: 40,804
Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Default

Just remember, if you're trying the beers at under 3 weeks (more like 5 for grolsh pints) with the beer stored at 70+, the issue isn't with the sugar. It's just too soon. and you may not really have a priming issue. A lot of new brewers come here thinking they have priming issues, when they just have patience ones.

You don't want to necessarily be adding MORE sugar to your bottles if in reality the yeast hasn't finished eating the existing sugars....Otherwise bottle goes boom when the yeast eats ALL the sugar.

__________________

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Revvy is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 02:26 PM   #4
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
unionrdr's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Sheffield, Ohio
Posts: 28,496
Liked 1924 Times on 1692 Posts
Likes Given: 1426

Default

All to true. But when he mentioned using tabs,I got the image of those lil pill like things that take several per bottle to carb. Not using enough in a bottle that size wouldn't work well. I was wondering how many did you use per bottle?
__________________
Everything works if ya let it-Roady(meatloaf)
My new book is on Amazon Kindle! http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00L3MCU0W
unionrdr is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 07:09 PM   #5
Euripidez
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska
Posts: 83
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default

1 tab for a 1L grolsch bottle.

I was going for "low" levels of carbonation, per the website, but disregarded the fact that I wasn't using 12 oz bottles, and that 1 tab per bottle on the website is the lower range of low carbonation.

__________________
Euripidez is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 09:54 PM   #6
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
unionrdr's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Sheffield, Ohio
Posts: 28,496
Liked 1924 Times on 1692 Posts
Likes Given: 1426

Default

I looked up Brewer's Best conditioning tablets on midwests' site. They say to use 4 tabs per 12oz bottle. Was that the brand you bought?
__________________
Everything works if ya let it-Roady(meatloaf)
My new book is on Amazon Kindle! http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00L3MCU0W
unionrdr is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 11:11 PM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Revvy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: "Detroitish" Michigan
Posts: 40,804
Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euripidez View Post
1 tab for a 1L grolsch bottle.

I was going for "low" levels of carbonation, per the website, but disregarded the fact that I wasn't using 12 oz bottles, and that 1 tab per bottle on the website is the lower range of low carbonation.
So how long HAS it been in the bottle? What I would do is make sure it's been 2-3 weeks since you added the tablet, to make sure that sugar is consumed. Then open each of them and reprime with the right amount of tabs. That way you don't have to worry about the tab you already put in causing a potential bottle bomb incident when you add more sugar. The co2 that did get produced by that one tablet will void out when you open them. Then just let them go for 4-5 weeks, since it's a larger bottle. It's also going to take longer than a 12 ounce will to carb up.
__________________

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Revvy is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 06:40 PM   #8
Euripidez
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska
Posts: 83
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
So how long HAS it been in the bottle? What I would do is make sure it's been 2-3 weeks since you added the tablet, to make sure that sugar is consumed. Then open each of them and reprime with the right amount of tabs. That way you don't have to worry about the tab you already put in causing a potential bottle bomb incident when you add more sugar. The co2 that did get produced by that one tablet will void out when you open them. Then just let them go for 4-5 weeks, since it's a larger bottle. It's also going to take longer than a 12 ounce will to carb up.
Sorry for the late reply. I bottled on the 3rd and I just cracked one open after 20 days. The carbonation is acceptable now. I am going to put the stout in the back of the fridge for a month or so, but Ill drink the brown ales. Chalk this one up to learning and I got a big bag of corn sugar and a scale. Bottling my pale ale soon!
__________________
Euripidez is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 07:54 PM   #9
ludomonster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: berlin, nj
Posts: 507
Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euripidez View Post
Sorry for the late reply. I bottled on the 3rd and I just cracked one open after 20 days. The carbonation is acceptable now. I am going to put the stout in the back of the fridge for a month or so, but Ill drink the brown ales. Chalk this one up to learning and I got a big bag of corn sugar and a scale. Bottling my pale ale soon!
Try saving some of that stout for 6 months. Brew it again and pour 1/2 glass of old stout and 1/2 glass new stout.

Also, the back of the fridge is often the coldest part. Put your eggs and milk there. Keep your beers in the warmest part of the fridge if you can. Your fridge should always stay below 40F, but people prefer to serve beer at about 45F. There's no need to keep them cooler (usually). If you use a fridge to chill your beers, like I do, you'll just have to deal with them being cold. You can take one out and let it rest for a few minutes or you can warm your glass with your hands.
__________________

Bottled: Old Freckled Men, Berlin Mart Cider, Creamer Ale II
English Mother****er, Do You Drink It Pale Ale
C4 Pale Ale (Centennial, Challenger, Cascade, Citra hopburst)

Gone: Honeybadger Wheat Ale, Bad Amba Jamma, Badder Amba Jamma, Slam Dunkelweizen, Creamer Ale I, Robust Porter

ludomonster is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 06:32 PM   #10
Euripidez
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska
Posts: 83
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludomonster View Post
Also, the back of the fridge is often the coldest part. Put your eggs and milk there. Keep your beers in the warmest part of the fridge if you can. Your fridge should always stay below 40F, but people prefer to serve beer at about 45F. There's no need to keep them cooler (usually). If you use a fridge to chill your beers, like I do, you'll just have to deal with them being cold. You can take one out and let it rest for a few minutes or you can warm your glass with your hands.
I have a beer fridge I keep at 50f.
A little warm, but I like my beers this way, especially stouts and porters.
If I have a beer I want really cold, Ill throw it in the freezer for a few minutes before drinking.

It also doubles as a cellar! I have 2 bottles of Narwhal and 2 Bottles of Sam Adams Double Bock aging. Its been about a week. Is it one year yet?
__________________
Euripidez is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Brewers Best Conditioning Tablets smontgo1 Bottling/Kegging 2 09-03-2012 10:30 PM
conditioning tablets or priming sugar? mmonteiro Bottling/Kegging 2 05-17-2012 12:08 PM
Conditioning tablets? Thoughts... travlinScott Bottling/Kegging 10 05-09-2012 05:57 PM
carbonation tablets jsun213 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 15 01-31-2012 02:49 PM
Adding campden tablets barracudamagoo Wine Making Forum 2 09-14-2009 07:16 PM