*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Carbonation
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2008, 10:48 PM   #1
Brewno
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Carbonation

How long should it take to carbonate a brew? Generally my batches have carbonated withing 10 days although taking longer to condition and taste good.

My current batch has been bottled for 13 days and although it tastes great, has no carbonation or head. OG was 1.088 and FG was 1.022. yeast= Wyeast 1056 and primed with 3/4 cup corn sugar .

I planned on 4 weeks conditioning for this brew but thought that it would at least carbonate within 2 weeks.

Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2008, 11:02 PM   #2
Nurmey
I love making Beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 6

There are several threads listed with the title "carbonation" and several hundred with the someone shouting "carbonation = 21 days at 70°" so I'm not sure how you missed it.

Old 10-18-2008, 11:09 PM   #3
DrinksWellWithOthers
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

3 weeks is the way to go. Now that its gotten cooler up here in NE some of my beers are taking a lot longer than three weeks to carb up.

Old 10-18-2008, 11:20 PM   #4
Brewno
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurmey View Post
There are several threads listed with the title "carbonation" and several hundred with the someone shouting "carbonation = 21 days at 70°" so I'm not sure how you missed it.
Yea how could I have missed it.
On the many forums I've been on I seem to notice that there are always those who sit and wait, like vultures, to pounce of anyone who makes a mistake or rubs them the wrong way.

I can never understand why they act like woman and speak in sarcastic innuendo rather than saying what's really on their mind. Why not just say "use the search function asshole."
I mean after all...that's what they really mean isn't it? What really amuses me is that , for all the sarcastic fools on the internet, when they meet you face to face, they are suddenly silent.

Thanks for the help.

Old 10-18-2008, 11:25 PM   #5
Chris_Dog
Orange whip?
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Nurmey was just trying to sugar coat it, however (I think) she was trying to say as you posted to use the search.

Old 10-18-2008, 11:30 PM   #6
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4507 Times on 3278 Posts
Likes Given: 883

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewno View Post
Yea how could I have missed it.
On the many forums I've been on I seem to notice that there are always those who sit and wait, like vultures, to pounce of anyone who makes a mistake or rubs them the wrong way.

I can never understand why they act like woman and speak in sarcastic innuendo rather than saying what's really on their mind. Why not just say "use the search function asshole."
I mean after all...that's what they really mean isn't it? What really amuses me is that , for all the sarcastic fools on the internet, when they meet you face to face, they are suddenly silent.

Thanks for the help.
No need to get your panties all in a bunch. It was simply being pointed out to you that there are probably 10 threads right below this one with the same exact question and answers. I didn't think she was out of line, since she didn't call you any names or anything. I don't know why you took offense, but I'm certain it wasn't her intention.

Yeah, I really hate it when we internet fools act like women. But, I can assure you that when we meet face to face, I would not be suddenly silent.
(Do you know how many of us ARE women, by the way?)

Old 10-18-2008, 11:33 PM   #7
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Anyway, one of the things that jumps out at me for this batch is the OG and the FG. I love using 1056, but I'm not sure that it'll have much "left" in it after attenuating over 73% and in an almost 9% brew. It may take 4-6 weeks to give you satisfactory carbonation, if you didn't add some fresh yeast when you bottled.

Old 10-18-2008, 11:45 PM   #8
Brewno
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ok, my mistake about the woman/man issue But my post stands. I have been around forums for many years on many different subjects. I am very aware of the search function and use it extensively. "Sometimes" I can't find exactly what I am looking for and other times I am looking for something a bit more specific as far as an answer. If "I" am asking the question then I have control over the follow up answers which usually lead to new questions. This is how I learn more.
So sometimes the search function isn't what I want. In this case, I already knew about the length of time for bottle conditioning and how many answers I would get about letting it sit longer etc. Based on past brews and how they carbonated and the difference in gravity and what not, and how this one was carbonating I wanted a little more info directly related to my question. Not the vagueness of past threads with "similar" problems.

My problem, and I have seen this (though not experienced it directly) on other forums, is with the condescending tone of certain posters. As is your an idiot and need to be guided by the hand. Sometimes there are better ways of saying things or dealing with other human beings.

And come on...even woman know how woman act Even they make fun of men who act like them....sarcastic, or saying yes when they mean no etc.

Last edited by Brewno; 10-18-2008 at 11:47 PM.

Old 10-18-2008, 11:48 PM   #9
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewno View Post
Ok, my mistake about the woman/man issue But my post stands. I have been around forums for many years on many different subjects. I am very aware of the search function and use it extensively. "Sometimes" I can't find exactly what I am looking for and other times I am looking for something a bit more specific as far as an answer. if "I" am asking the question then I have control over the follow up answers which usually lead to new questions. This is how I learn more.
So sometimes the search function isn't what I want. In this case, I already knew about the length of time for bottle conditioning and how many answers i would get about letting it sit longer etc. Based on past brews and how they carbonated and the difference in gravity etc and how this one was carbonating i wanted a little more info directly related to my question. Not the vagueness of past threads with "similar" problems.

My problem, and I have seen this (though not experienced it directly) on other forums, is with the condescending tone of certain posters. As is your an idiot and need to be guided by the hand. Sometimes there are better ways of saying things or dealing with other human beings.

And come on...even woman know how woman act Even they make fun of men who act like them....sarcastic, or saying yes when they mean no etc.
Well, if Nurmey was the type to "pounce" on people who ask questions, I wouldn't disagree with you. But, she is always helpful and knows her ****, too.

Anyway, let's get back on topic and say there, ok?

Old 10-18-2008, 11:49 PM   #10
Brewno
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
Anyway, one of the things that jumps out at me for this batch is the OG and the FG. I love using 1056, but I'm not sure that it'll have much "left" in it after attenuating over 73% and in an almost 9% brew. It may take 4-6 weeks to give you satisfactory carbonation, if you didn't add some fresh yeast when you bottled.

ok...so that was more or less what I was looking for. The higher gravity would warrant more time? Not that it just "won't' carbonate (due to 1056 not having the oomph so to speak), it just needs time?

I thought carbonation happened pretty quick and it was conditioning or the leveling out of flavors that took lonnger.

Last edited by Brewno; 10-18-2008 at 11:54 PM.

Closed Thread

Quick Reply