New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Carbonation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2012, 09:39 AM   #1
Oprahs_Warrior
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Carbonation

Hey guys, I'm new and I'm sure this has been asked and that it is a stupid question.

I racked my brew into the secondary bottling bucket. I added the sugar as I did this. I let it sit for 48 hours. The reason I did this is because after fermentation, I noticed a lot of flakes from what I assume were from the grains that got out of the steeping bag. I wanted to let all these settle before..

My question is this, when I added the sugar, I noticed a bit of bubbling in the airlock, was this residual fermentation, or was this the carbonation escaping.

Also when I bottle, will it still carbonate? If not, will adding more sugar make that happen? Or no...

Let me kno!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 09:48 AM   #2
neanderthalman51
Recipes 

I also have a question being a first time brewer; I used a kit with two cams of malt and a packet of yeast. It's been 36 hours and no bubbles! There's pressure in fermenter because water in air lock has moved in the right direction. Do I have bad yeast, not enough aeration at pitching yeast and should I add more yeast???? I know the saying to relax but certainly am concerned!

Old 11-26-2012, 09:48 AM   #3
jetmac
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 11

First off, when fermenting, what you see in the airlock is co2. What you are seeing now in the airlock is co2. Those "flakes" will settle in the bottom of the bottle anyway. My understanding of carbonating using sugar may be wrong but, I think you are supposed to go straight to bottling after you add the sugar, adding more sugar would probably cause your bottles to burst. Go ahead and bottle and it will be fine.

Wayne Gretzky-"100% of the shots you don't take, don't go in

Revvy>>You shouldn't worry about ANYTHING, you didn't hurt the yeast, they know what they need to do, they want to eat all that sugar they are swimming around in. They want to pee alcohol and fart co2, it's their nature.

Bobby_M>>I flood the keg with CO2 for one minute with the lid off, rack the beer in to the bottom gently, seal it, flood it, vent it. If there's still O2 in there after that, F it.

Old 11-26-2012, 09:50 AM   #4
jetmac
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by neanderthalman51 View Post
I also have a question being a first time brewer; I used a kit with two cams of malt and a packet of yeast. It's been 36 hours and no bubbles! There's pressure in fermenter because water in air lock has moved in the right direction. Do I have bad yeast, not enough aeration at pitching yeast and should I add more yeast???? I know the saying to relax but certainly am concerned!
You probably under pitched your yeast, it will take more time to ferment. Give it 7-11 days and check the gravity to see if fermentation is finished.

Wayne Gretzky-"100% of the shots you don't take, don't go in

Revvy>>You shouldn't worry about ANYTHING, you didn't hurt the yeast, they know what they need to do, they want to eat all that sugar they are swimming around in. They want to pee alcohol and fart co2, it's their nature.

Bobby_M>>I flood the keg with CO2 for one minute with the lid off, rack the beer in to the bottom gently, seal it, flood it, vent it. If there's still O2 in there after that, F it.

Old 11-26-2012, 10:53 AM   #5
BrewerBear
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 18

If you rack to bottling bucket 2 days ago and it had the priming sugar in it,it has probably fermented the priming sugar by now also. It may carb up any way but I would give it a couple more days to then add the sugar again and bottle right away,no need to let anything settle in bottling bucket.

Old 11-26-2012, 01:45 PM   #6
grem135
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 72

+1 give it 2-3 days and get some more priming sugar, when ready to bottle gently mix your priming solution (cooled) into your beer and bottle.

Brew On!

Brewing nOOb
Primary 1: Winter Warmer
Primary 2: empty
German Altbier: Primary: 4/12/13 Bottled 7/7/13....life has a way of getting in the way.
Bottled: Hope & King Scotch Ale, Belgian Dubbel, Irish Red, NB Cream Ale

Quick Reply