Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Carbonating with soda bottles

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2009, 01:50 AM   #11
Hikeon3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
Not really. Did you ever open a two day old bottle of soda? Generally flat, but maybe with some fizz.

Another issue is just the act of pouring it can mix up some sediment, as well as oxidize it.
In any case, would a careful/quiet pour, a good squeeze, and tight capping at least keep the stuff better longer? I mean I've used growlers before and you get maybe a day or two out of those at best, but you're basically capping a fresh load of oxygen right on top if it. The advantage I saw with plastic was just that you could squeeze that air right out and maybe keep things good for a few more days.

Just a thought.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2009, 02:31 AM   #12
taylornate
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikeon3 View Post
In any case, would a careful/quiet pour, a good squeeze, and tight capping at least keep the stuff better longer? I mean I've used growlers before and you get maybe a day or two out of those at best, but you're basically capping a fresh load of oxygen right on top if it. The advantage I saw with plastic was just that you could squeeze that air right out and maybe keep things good for a few more days.

Just a thought.
The CO2 will escape from the liquid if you don't keep it under pressure. It isn't just about oxygen.

Old 03-02-2009, 02:49 AM   #13
Hikeon3
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylornate View Post
The CO2 will escape from the liquid if you don't keep it under pressure. It isn't just about oxygen.
Wishful thinking I suppose. Thanks.

Old 03-02-2009, 03:58 AM   #14
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 905 Times on 602 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Well there is some truth in that squeezing the headspace out will keep it from oxidizing, but it will lose carbonation big time.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 03-02-2009, 04:33 AM   #15
arover
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Wait, you can bottle beer in plastic soda bottles? And the plastic wont affect the taste at all (as long as it's sanitized)? I'm new to the brewing scene, so I'm just wondering.

Old 03-02-2009, 05:31 AM   #16
yeoldebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Soda bottles can work fine. But absolutely stay away from plastic bottles from root beer. The taste persists in the plastic like crazy and will trash the beer.

My airlock passes gas.

atun53 Likes This 
Old 03-02-2009, 06:57 AM   #17
MacBruver
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoldebrewer View Post
Soda bottles can work fine. But absolutely stay away from plastic bottles from root beer. The taste persists in the plastic like crazy and will trash the beer.
The taste persists in EVERYTHING. First beer I ever brewed was at a U-Brew place, and we wanted some of our beer in a keg. We brought an empty 5 gallon along with us, but the guy couldn't get it open... so he gave us a 15 gallon keg that had previously held, you guessed it, root beer.

"Root Beer Stout" is not good. No matter how intriguing it might sound.

Old 03-02-2009, 06:13 PM   #18
BoulderBayBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm pretty new to brewing but have a little bit of experience in brewing in plastic bottles. I started out brewing in brown PET bottles. Lately I only brew in glass. One batch I brewed I used plastic and glass. I noticed they both tasted slightly different. I can't really describe the flavor difference, but the beer in the glass tasted better to me. There wasn't a big difference but it was noticeable to me

Hope that helps.

Dan

Bottled/Conditioning:
Drinking: Red Barron German Pilsner

Old 03-02-2009, 06:17 PM   #19
llazy_llama
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderBayBrewing View Post
I'm pretty new to brewing but have a little bit of experience in brewing in plastic bottles. I started out brewing in brown PET bottles. Lately I only brew in glass. One batch I brewed I used plastic and glass. I noticed they both tasted slightly different. I can't really describe the flavor difference, but the beer in the glass tasted better to me. There wasn't a big difference but it was noticeable to me

Hope that helps.

Dan
That's less unusual than you might think. I've got a buddy who won't drink anything except water out of a plastic container. If he's at a party/picnic/gathering where beer is going to be served, he'll bring his own glass from home, rather than drink from plastic party cups.

That's fine by me, to each his own and all that, but living like that he's never learned the joys of beer pong.

Old 03-02-2009, 11:58 PM   #20
oswiu
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I've used PET bottles for 90% of my beer. I've never noticed any off flavours when using them, and they can handle pressure better than glass, so even if you screw up your priming/bottling time you have almost no chance of bottle bombs (though I did once have to open and bleed huge amounts of CO2 off an ESB I bottled too early... Most of the hop aroma went with it.)

Fortunately there are two reasonably popular brands of soft drink in NZ that are sold in 1.5L brown PET bottles, so I just go out on recycling nights and get all my bottles from people's bins. I've got 60L worth of brown plastic to bottle in now, at a cost of $0.00

Drinking: Buff Face Imperial Stout, Cria (2.X% ABV hop bomb), Llama Doodle NZ hopped IPA

Quick Reply