HBT 2014 Big Giveaway - 4/10 Re-Draw Winners Posted!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Carbonating Aged Brew

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2011, 10:41 PM   #1
AbbeyNormal
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Carbonating Aged Brew

Hey All...

I have a Scottish Wee Heavy that I've been aging for about 9 months now and I want to go to bottles with it. Will there be enough yeast left to carbonate with corn sugar?

Thoughts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2011, 11:38 PM   #2
S0meB0dy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Add a pack of yeast at bottling time to make sure your beer carbonates. It may carbonate without it but it could take a while since most of your yeast are out of suspension. You don't want to be disappointed later when you go to open your first brew and find it flat.

Fermenting: APA
Up Next: Nutbrown

Old 09-26-2011, 11:59 PM   #3
Elweydoloco
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Just a thought if you don't want to add more yeast as I've never aged anything that long.

http://www.google.com/products?q=Muntons+Carbonation+tabs&hl=en

Primary
AHS London Porter
Secondary
Bottled
AHS Blue Moon Clone, Double Choco Stout, Porter, Hard Apple Cider, Apocalypso

Old 09-27-2011, 12:02 AM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2657 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 3444

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elweydoloco View Post
Just a thought if you don't want to add more yeast as I've never aged anything that long.

http://www.google.com/products?q=Muntons+Carbonation+tabs&hl=en
Using muntons won't change whether or not the OP needs to add more yeast or not. All the carb tabs are is a different kind of sugar....sugar is not an issue, adding fresh yeast is.

It's not a bad idea when aging big beers to add a packet of yeast at bottling time.

Otherwise they still will more than likely carb, but it could take 6 months without fresh yeast, if it's a high grav beer.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-13-2011, 12:43 PM   #5
BubberJ
Recipes 

I had a question along the same line. I have an Vanilla Rum Oak Porter that has been sitting in secondary for its 3rd month and have the same fear of bottling and it not carbing properly. My main concern was the rum that was added in addition to the time it has been sitting. Should I consider adding yeast at bottling?

Old 10-13-2011, 01:15 PM   #6
shutupjojo

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubberJ View Post
I had a question along the same line. I have an Vanilla Rum Oak Porter that has been sitting in secondary for its 3rd month and have the same fear of bottling and it not carbing properly. My main concern was the rum that was added in addition to the time it has been sitting. Should I consider adding yeast at bottling?
I usually add 1/2 a pack of champagne yeast to my big beers before bottling.
I always keep some on hand .Works great.

Old 10-13-2011, 02:29 PM   #7
Vuarra
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 18

When I've had to carb a big / long fermented beer, I usually add one (or a few) of the yeast grains to each bottle, then add the sugared beer.

While there are always yeast in suspension, I don't like the idea of waiting months for carbonation to occur.

Fermenting: Real Ale, Extract Lager (with WLP830), India Pale Ale

Conditioning: Nothing

Drinking: Pale Ale from the keg

Old 10-13-2011, 02:35 PM   #8
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Add 1/3 of a sachet of Red Star Montrachet Wine Yeast as you are racking in to your bottling bucket. The wine yeast is cheap, is used to high alcohol environments, and will only eat the simple priming sugar you put in the beer. It'll carb pretty quickly as long as you keep the beer warm enough. This is what I do with all my beers that go in to tertiary for an extended period of time.

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Quick Reply