Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > is it carbonating?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2010, 07:24 PM   #1
cmatthew4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default is it carbonating?

so ive done my first bat of homebrew
after learning from a few of my mistakes i think i might have made one to end it all
when i racked my beer into the bottles after priming the amount the instruction that my coopers beer kit has recommended.... i was wondering if there is any way to tell if the carbonation is happening??
if i looks through a bottle should i be able to see bubbles forming and raising to the top?
when i racked my beer i didint filter it but i also did my best to avoid the sediment on the bottom of the bucket
does that mean i left all the yeast behind and it wont carb??? its been 3 days now should be carbing strong as we speak am i right? the temperature is around 25-26 degrees Celsius
i havent opened a bottle yet im just wondering if there anyway i can tell without opening the bottle....
what making me nervous is that i cannot see little bubbles forming like when it was fermenting

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2010, 07:30 PM   #2
brewdude25
Recipes 

You wont be able to tell that it is carbonating by looking at the bottles. And don't worry about leaving sediment in your bottling bucket.. The priming sugar that you added will still activate some in the beer and begin the bottle conditioning process. I usually at a little over 3/4 cup of (Dextrose) priming sugar for a 5 gallon batch and it turns out perfect. You may need to adjust the amount on your next batch if it comes out too fizzy or too flat, but other than that just sit back and let it do its thing for 2-3 weeks!
Cheers!

To brew or not to brew... That is the question.

Old 08-26-2010, 07:32 PM   #3
COLObrewer
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 4

You won't see any bubbles until the beer is opened/poured. I recomend waiting at least 3 weeks (at room temperature) before expecting it to be carbonated fully. You can however open one whenever, to gain your experience, also maybe open one every few days to see the progression.

Newer, better, more streamlined sig as per the forum police.

Old 08-26-2010, 07:36 PM   #4
Goosta
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I wouldn't think you'd be seeing bubbles forming inside the capped bottles. After all, there is nowhere for the CO2 to escape so it is getting distributed throughout the beer.

There's nothing wrong with cracking one open early to check the status of carbonation. I typically can't resist checking a beer after 3-5 days....even if it is usually still flat at that point.

Don't worry about avoiding the sediment in the bottom of the bucket. There are typically plenty of yeast around to carb up your beer even though you can't see them. You'll likely begin to notice little deposits of yeast on the bottom of your bottles as they settle out.

RDWHAHB...even if it isn't carbed after a week. It'll get there.

Old 08-26-2010, 07:43 PM   #5
cmatthew4
Recipes 

ok cool i wasnt sure if id be able to see the carbonation forming.... thats good to know
am i really supposed to way 3 weeks? the instructions said 1 week would fully carb....
of course there are some flaws with coopers instructions that come on the lid (as in a little vague)
while this one is carbing (Canadian Blonde) ill be doing another batch wich is (Australian Draught) wich will be going into a keg with forced carbonation any one heard of this australian draught?

Old 08-26-2010, 07:43 PM   #6
brewdude25
Recipes 

That's true.. Forgot about the sediment ring on the bottom of the bottles. That technically is one way to tell, but that won't happen until a ways into it.

To brew or not to brew... That is the question.

Old 08-26-2010, 07:47 PM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

You can't really see "carbonation" happening, and many beers won't even show any sediment, if you brew carefully....

The 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer.

Stouts and porters have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to carb up..I have a 1.090 Belgian strong that took three months to carb up.

Temp and gravity are the two factors that contribute to the time it takes to carb beer. But if a beer's not ready yet, or seems low carbed, and you added the right amount of sugar to it, then it's not stalled, it's just not time yet.

Everything you need to know about carbing and conditioning, can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience."

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-26-2010, 08:13 PM   #8
509inc
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 222

Revvy how many times a day do you answer the carbonation question? I think I have seen you post that same post 100 times in the past few months.

Old 08-26-2010, 08:15 PM   #9
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by 509inc View Post
Revvy how many times a day do you answer the carbonation question? I think I have seen you post that same post 100 times in the past few months.
Same amount as I answer "stuck fermentation" threads, or "My yeast is dead" or "My starter is working" or any other ones that get asked 20, 30 times a day.....as many times as it gets asked because the person asking didn't look at all the other threads on the same topic they were looking for, or didn't search for it.

The Op asked a slightly different question, and a good one. I just figured since he was asking, maybe he'd appreciate the info...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-26-2010, 08:37 PM   #10
bsdx

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I used carbonation drops (sugar pellets) in 2 bottles of beer once and it was cloudy for a few days and I saw bubbles for a few days inside the bottle, but they started with a ton of yeast. If the yeast works fast, the yeast will finish making co2 long before it has all absorbed back into the beer (you'd get a louder PSSHT when opening the bottle but fairly flat beer), but if the beer is strong and/or cold or stubborn they would go neck and neck for weeks or months.

Quick Reply