Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Carbing and Conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2012, 12:25 AM   #1
jvp1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default Carbing and Conditioning

Hi y'all,

My beers are currently carbing on my patio (covered) where the temperature varies from 40-50F (4-10C)... I don't want to carb inside because I don't have a cooler or anything and as it's my first time brewing I don't want to risk any bombs.

I understand that carbing at a lower temperature means lower carbing, but if I carb at a lower temperature, do I take care of the carbonation and bottle conditioning at the same time, thus (potentially) shortening the process? Or at least not lengthening it?

Primary: Cooper's Cerveza
Secondary:
Bottle conditioning:
Bottled: Altbier, Mr. Beer IPA, Dodging the Draught, JVP Thrilsner, Sweet Caroline Honey Ale, Stout

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2012, 12:27 AM   #2
jvp1
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

...or should I just move the bottles inside and put them back later?

My basement is a consistent 50F, but I'm incredibly lazy and three flights of stairs separate me from it.

Secondary:
Bottle conditioning:
Bottled: Altbier, Mr. Beer IPA, Dodging the Draught, JVP Thrilsner, Sweet Caroline Honey Ale, Stout

Old 04-12-2012, 12:28 AM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4359 Times on 3169 Posts
Likes Given: 848

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvp1 View Post
Hi y'all,

My beers are currently carbing on my patio (covered) where the temperature varies from 40-50F (4-10C)... I don't want to carb inside because I don't have a cooler or anything and as it's my first time brewing I don't want to risk any bombs.

I understand that carbing at a lower temperature means lower carbing, but if I carb at a lower temperature, do I take care of the carbonation and bottle conditioning at the same time, thus (potentially) shortening the process? Or at least not lengthening it?
If it's an ale, using ale yeast, the beer will never carb up at those cool temperatures. Usually, most ale yeast strains go dormant below 60 degrees. I haven't had much luck carbing up beer under 65 degrees. Even at 65 degrees, it takes longer but it does carb up. At 40-50, it never will.

Old 04-12-2012, 12:30 AM   #4
brrit
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Don't fear the bottle bombs. I've been brewing for a little over a year now and haven't seen one yet. Do they happen? Sure. Are they common? Not really.

Bring those little fellas inside and they'll carb right up. Listen to Yooper.

Old 04-12-2012, 12:32 AM   #5
jvp1
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
If it's an ale, using ale yeast, the beer will never carb up at those cool temperatures. Usually, most ale yeast strains go dormant below 60 degrees. I haven't had much luck carbing up beer under 65 degrees. Even at 65 degrees, it takes longer but it does carb up. At 40-50, it never will.
Figured. I had some carbonation but not enough, and that kind of makes sense. I'll bring them inside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brrit
Don't fear the bottle bombs. I've been brewing for a little over a year now and haven't seen one yet. Do they happen? Sure. Are they common? Not really.

Bring those little fellas inside and they'll carb right up. Listen to Yooper.
Will do.

Secondary:
Bottle conditioning:

Quick Reply