The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Carapils and diastatic power

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2008, 08:41 PM   #1
hammacks
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Carapils and diastatic power

I've got a simple question. I plan on doing a Honey Amber Ale for my 2nd brew. Here is the recipe:
Honey Amber Ale
Type: Extract w/grain
Size: 5.5 gallons
Color: 15 HCU (~10 SRM)
Bitterness: 13 IBU
OG: 1.049 FG: 1.009
Alcohol: 5.2% v/v (4.1% w/w)
Water: Deet Park spring water
Grain: 8 oz. Dextrine malt (Cara-Pils)
Steep: steeped grain for 30 minutes at 155°
Boil: 60 minutes SG 1.090 3 gallons
6 lb. Amber malt extract
1 lb. Honey
Hops: 1 oz. Cascade (6% AA, 45 min.)
1 oz. Cascade (aroma)
Yeast: Wyeast American Ale 1056 smack pack, made 16 oz starter with ½ cup Munton’s Extra Light DME

Now, after I actually went shopping I started to recall that some grains lack necessary enzymes, and sure enough Palmer's says dextrine malt has no diastatic power at all. I just got off the phone with ThingsBeer (part of Michigan Brewing Company) and the guy at the other end assured these grains were fine and would "ferment real nice" on their own. Is he flat out wrong? Also, does this recipe not even make sense without another grainl?

I'm thinking I need to add another grain to the bill to help out the Carapils (they are Breiss BTW). Couple more quick questions. Substitued Agentine Cascades and Safale S-04. Sound OK?

Thanks in advanced,
-Steve

EDIT: Loving this forum!

Last edited by hammacks; 06-19-2008 at 08:42 PM. Reason: addition

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2008, 08:43 PM   #2
BarleyWater

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts

Carapils is a caramel malt, whose starches have been converted into sugar and carmelized, so you are good.

Fermenting: Nada
On Tap:Cran Wit, Dr Pepper Dubbel, Cascadian Pale Ale, Dark Chocolate Stout, Imperial Stout, Brown Mild, Schwarzbier
On Board: IIPA

www.franconiabrewing.com

Old 06-19-2008, 08:44 PM   #3
BarleyWater

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts

I would use safale US-05 (it's the same strain as the WYeast), and the Argentina cascades are a little less aromatic IIRC, I would go with amarillo.

Fermenting: Nada
On Tap:Cran Wit, Dr Pepper Dubbel, Cascadian Pale Ale, Dark Chocolate Stout, Imperial Stout, Brown Mild, Schwarzbier
On Board: IIPA

www.franconiabrewing.com

Old 06-19-2008, 08:47 PM   #4
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 352 Times on 290 Posts
Likes Given: 93

Well, I haven't used Argentine Cascades, but they say that they're a different flavor, they don't have the citrus of domestic Cascades. More "spice," I think. The S-04 is also going to not attenuate quite as much, and maybe be a little more estery, that the 1056. It should be fine; in the future, a really good dry yeast sub for 1056/WLP001/"Chico" is the US-05. Real clean, high attenuation, not a lot of its own character imparted to the beer, not a lot of esters and whatnot.

As to the Carapils... I don't know. Carapils adds unfermentable dextrines moreso than any real flavor. Adding a pound of 2-row to make this effectively a partial mash would certainly work; I'd also consider subbing a half-pound of a medium crystal malt for the dextrine malt. An amber ale will want a little bit of sweetness, maybe a little caramely-ness to it, so maybe like a 40L or 60L crystal. It'll also add back in a little body like the Carapils, it'll just do it and also add in some more sweetness and flavor.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 06-19-2008, 08:58 PM   #5
hammacks
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Are you guys positive about the Carapils? Not trying to second guess you, but lengthy searching turned up many conflicting answers as well as this:

http://www.howtobrew.com/section2/chapter12-1.html

Is he not talking about Breiss Carapils there?

Also, I like the Crystal idea. So that makes this a true PM with sparge and all eh? And no need to back off the honey and extract with the addition of the Crystal? Think I'll just go with that over the Carapils

The Argentine Cascades are not a true substitute for US cascades (as you mentioned). It says so right on the package. I think I'll try to get some amarillo.

Lastly, I'm a bit worried about my buddy at my LHBS. Great, friendly, and helpful guy, but is very laid back about ingredients, like to a fault. Almost everything I ask ends up is answered with "Oh sure, that will be great". Then I find out maybe not so much a little later. Good to be relaxed, but I want a decent beer

Old 06-19-2008, 09:07 PM   #6
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

You'll make a decent beer, don't worry!

I really don't know, I rarely use Carapils and when I do, it's doing a mash. The thing is, Carapils doesn't really bring a lot to the table other than body. No real sweetness. Maybe a little head retention. Most extract brewers will use a small amount of maltodextrine if they want a beer with more body, it really does the same thing (adding complex, unfermentable dextrines to the beer).

So, really... I think I'd dump the Carapils and use some crystal, even a bit more than a half pound. A smooth Amber Ale's usually going to call for about a pound of crystal malt, but it's somewhat of a personal preference. I'd tend to err on the low side, but I also prefer drier beers.

The honey, keep in mind, is going to ferment out almost completely. I wouldn't add that to the beginning of the boil, I'd add it at flameout or you'll drive off all the aromatics. You know what could be really nice for this recipe is to sub in a little bit of honey malt. It's a form of cystal malt that's got a medium color and a pronounced honey-like flavor, lots of people like using it in conjunction with actual honey in a recipe. A half-pound of that, with the honey, and without bothering with the carapils, should give you some real nice honey-notes.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie

Old 06-19-2008, 09:28 PM   #7
hammacks
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Sounds good. Talk to LHBS about availabilty. No honey malt, but he suggested Vienna (could also just go back to the Crystal 40L). No amarillo but there is some whole cascades. No Safeale S-05, but there is US-05, which he said is also S-56? I told him what WYeast I was substituting for and that's where he led me. Different guy on the phone with more of that noobie guidance I need! Modified recipe is now:

Grain: 8 oz Vienna
Steep: steeped grain for 30 minutes at 155°
Boil: 60 minutes SG 1.090 3 gallons
6 lb. Amber malt extract
1 lb. Honey (late addition)
Hops: 1 oz. Whole Cascades (6% AA, 45 min.)
1 oz. Whole Cascades (aroma)
Yeast: Safale US-05

1 Last look over please? Thanks a lot.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:31 PM   #8
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

US-05 used to be known at US-56 until the people who make 1056 got a little upset...

I think you're good. The Vienna technically needs to be mashed, which just means for these purposes to be fairly careful about keeping the temp at 150°-155°, hold it there for maybe 45 minutes, and rinse it with a little hot water (~170°) when you're done. Vienna DOES have enough enzymes to convert itself /

Good luck!

Old 06-19-2008, 10:25 PM   #9
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Its an extract kit with steeping grains...not mashing grains. the intent isn't to get any fermentables out of the carapils, just color and flavor.

don't confuse having grain with 'mashing' or 'extracting fermentables'...they aren't one in the same.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 06-19-2008, 10:26 PM   #10
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Well, with the Vienna, he IS going to be mashing (albeit a very small amount of grain).

Quick Reply