Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > caramel/crystal 10-120L.....

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2011, 04:32 AM   #1
crazyseany
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default caramel/crystal 10-120L.....

What is the difference in all of these...? I thought I read it somewheres or saw a video on it but can't remember where! Can you sub 1/10lb crystal60 for .5lbof 10?...

I know you probably can't but why?
Do I need to just go buy a pound or so of each so I have some on hand?

Thanks
Sean

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2011, 05:00 AM   #2
jkovac
Recipes 

Not sure about the substitution calculation, but the number refers to the Lovibond scale, a color measurement. The higher the number, the darker the color.

Old 12-29-2011, 05:17 AM   #3
chemicalcraig
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

The flavor will be dramatically different. The darker crystal malts (80-120+) are kilned longer and in my experience have a more toffee or raisiny flavor, while the lighter malts (10-20) have a kind of light malty sweetness, and the mid range (40-60) have a more pronounced caramel-like character, but YMMV. I would suggest buying a pound of all of them munch on a few kernels to get a taste of each. The difference between C10 and C120 is night and day. Getting to know your grain is important in crafting your own recipes.

Primary: Imperial IPA, American Brown, Amber, Old Ale, American Stout

Old 12-29-2011, 05:24 AM   #4
plumbob
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The difference is color and flavor. The bigger the number, the darker the wort that is produced. Also, the higher numbers mean richer, toastier flavors.

No you cannot substitute one for another like that. While in as far as color goes, you might be able to get away with that; they each have different flavor profiles and contribute sugar to the wort.

So, while you might hit about the right color in the example you gave, you'll be short on flavor and OG.

Old 12-29-2011, 03:41 PM   #5
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1075 Times on 783 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumbob View Post
The difference is color and flavor. The bigger the number, the darker the wort that is produced. Also, the higher numbers mean richer, toastier flavors.

No you cannot substitute one for another like that. While in as far as color goes, you might be able to get away with that; they each have different flavor profiles and contribute sugar to the wort.

So, while you might hit about the right color in the example you gave, you'll be short on flavor and OG.
this^. lighter caramel malts with give you slight red/orange color, a bit of sweetness and head retention. darker caramel malts will give a richer red/amber color, caramel like sweetness.
lighter caramel malts, think pale ale, IPA, lighter ambers.
darker caramel malts, think reds, ESBs and brown porters.

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.

Quick Reply