The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Capping - argh

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2007, 03:48 AM   #1
Danny013
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default Capping - argh

So I'm capping my bottles - they are 22 oz. if that helps - and most of them go on fine, but some of them twist a little after I get them on. I read that this should not happen, but no matter how many times I uncap and recap, they still twist. Should I be concerned? Do you think it may just be a faulty bottle?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2007, 03:53 AM   #2
sudbuster
This ain't my first rodeo....
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 267 Times on 210 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny013
So I'm capping my bottles - they are 22 oz. if that helps - and most of them go on fine, but some of them twist a little after I get them on. I read that this should not happen, but no matter how many times I uncap and recap, they still twist. Should I be concerned? Do you think it may just be a faulty bottle?

Thanks!
Probably not the bottle. I've had that trouble with the red capper with side handles. i finally invested in a bench top capper and all was well.

Old 09-12-2007, 04:56 PM   #3
Chris_B
Recipes 

Are you pushing the capper handles down all the way? I know it seems obvious, but I went through half of my first batch before I realized the red capper needed to go further down to crimp the cap tighter.

It reaches a stop point, then you keep pushing a little until it gives some more.

Chris

Old 09-12-2007, 05:43 PM   #4
Danny013
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Yup. I thought that was the problem at first, and then made sure to push them down all the way and then some - I was going until I could hear the capper start to creak a little, lol. Most of the caps went on fine, though a few still twisted no matter how many times I recapped.

I left them, marked them, and this morning they seem to be tighter. If they don't carb, well oh well. I have other homebrews to drown my sorrows in.

Thanks for the input!

Old 09-12-2007, 06:02 PM   #5
Funkenjaeger

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny013
Yup. I thought that was the problem at first, and then made sure to push them down all the way and then some - I was going until I could hear the capper start to creak a little, lol. Most of the caps went on fine, though a few still twisted no matter how many times I recapped.

I left them, marked them, and this morning they seem to be tighter. If they don't carb, well oh well. I have other homebrews to drown my sorrows in.

Thanks for the input!
Having the capper start to creak a little may not be enough. I push pretty hard when I am capping and I always feel like the whole capper wants to break in my hands (though it never has) - I may very well be overdoing it but I've never had issues with the caps not sealing.

One sign I always look for when using the red capper is whether there is a small circular indent in the middle of the cap, left by the magnet. I have to push pretty hard to leave a good indent, so I know it's sealed. Take my advice with a grain of salt, but it's worked for me - YMMV.

I might question the bottles you are using too - from what I hear, some bottles like twist-offs or some european types can be tough or impossible to properly cap using a handheld capper and should only be used with a bench capper.

Old 09-12-2007, 07:10 PM   #6
Danny013
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I was pushing down pretty hard - all my caps have a little indentation from the magnet, too. I felt confident that the capper could not go down any further without breaking the neck of the bottle

I'm not sure where the bottles are from originally - I just grabbed some generic brown 22 oz. bottles from the LHBS. I had 2 Newcastle bottles that I used to bottle and they capped great.

I dunno. Strange...

Old 09-12-2007, 08:07 PM   #7
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty

Recipes 

Liked 201 Times on 112 Posts

= FTL!!

= FTW!!!!!

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 09-12-2007, 09:04 PM   #8
Danny013
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Haha, yeah I was looking at that earlier today, actually.

What's the difference between that one and the other lever capper they have? The other one is a little cheaper and they recommended it on morebeer.

Gots to start saving my pennies...

Old 09-12-2007, 10:22 PM   #9
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty

Recipes 

Liked 201 Times on 112 Posts

i think it can work on bigger bottles, but i'm not really sure. it's the only one i've ever had.

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Quick Reply