Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Can't wait!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2011, 06:49 AM   #1
Kodatech
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Can't wait!

Hello everyone. I'm brand new to brewing, and to this group, but I have some scottish ale in the fermenter in the closet.

It is my first brew, and the fermentation seemed very vigorous and rapid. It started after about 5 hours, and all through the night and the next day bubbles were rolling out of the airlock.

The best part is, the closet the brew is in smelled GREAT! Fermentation seems to have stopped after just 2 days, so I gave the fermenter a good shake, and I am going to let it sit some more.

I am new, so I am going to keep it simple, for this batch I am not going to use a secondary. I am going to check my SG after a week in the bucket, if it looks good, I am going to bottle it and age it for a few weeks. Ill Keep you posted!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2011, 07:07 AM   #2
Qhrumphf
Stay Rude, Stay SHARP
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1698 Times on 1210 Posts
Likes Given: 696

I'd recommend leaving it in the bucket a little longer than that, two weeks minimum, three weeks better. I usually leave most of mine in primary 4 weeks.

That said, congrats on the first brew, and it'll probably be the best beer you've ever had (namely because you made it).

Cheers and welcome to the forum (and the obsessionimeanhobby)

Up Next: Bluebird Bitter Clone v3.0, Scottish 60/-, Rye American Pale Ale
Primary: Robust Porter, Kitchen Sink Brown Porter, Bluebird Bitter Clone v2.0
Souring: Lamebic, Flanders Red, Brett. C. Old Ale, Sour Stout, Brett C. Wild Bitter, Wild Cider
Polypins: Dark Mild
Bottled: English Cider, Belgian IPA, Spiced Winter Warmer, Malt Liquor
In the "cellar": Brett B. Tripel, Quadrupel, Tripel, Brett C. Oaked English Barleywine, Lamebic

Old 09-20-2011, 07:11 AM   #3
Kodatech
Recipes 

Three weeks? The kit said 4-6 days, but reading on the forums here, that does seem a bit short.

Should I just leave the lid closed and not check the SG until after 2-3 weeks? The thread title says "cant wait" but I would rather wait and have great beer, than NOT wait and have gushers.

Old 09-20-2011, 07:19 AM   #4
CaptainCaveman
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodatech View Post
Three weeks? The kit said 4-6 days, but reading on the forums here, that does seem a bit short.

Should I just leave the lid closed and not check the SG until after 2-3 weeks? The thread title says "cant wait" but I would rather wait and have great beer, than NOT wait and have gushers.
You're really supposed to take a gravity reading before you pitch your yeast, hence SG = starting gravity. You then take a FG or final gravity reading after you think it's nearing fermentation completion. Also, yes, 4-6 days is really short.

Old 09-20-2011, 07:19 AM   #5
smagee
Most impressive "member"

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

You should be fine to check on it to see where it stands, but I'd still give it 2 weeks before bottling. The important thing is that prior to birling, you should ensure that fermentation is done. Check gravity when you think it's finished, then give it 3 days. Check again, and if it hasn't changed in that time, you're all set to bottle. If it changes though, give it longer, least you end up with a batch of bottle bombs.

Old 09-20-2011, 07:21 AM   #6
Qhrumphf
Stay Rude, Stay SHARP

Recipes 

The kits always say things like that. They also usually say you can bottle when the airlock bubbling stops. Doesn't make it a good idea. Outside of a few brewing staple books (BCS, How to Brew, etc), I've learned all I know from the folks on here.

In my experience, almost all my brews have finished fermenting by 6 days (with a few exceptions). However, just cause active fermentation is done doesn't mean the yeast are done. There are fermentation byproducts that the extra time allows the yeast to clean up. As a general rule, after I pitch my yeast and seal up whichever ferment I'm using, I don't open it up until 2 weeks, at which point I start taking gravity readings. Once I've determined that it's done (which it usually is by 2 weeks), I let it sit another week. Then usually get lazy and wait one more. And it's done wonders for my beer.

Souring: Lamebic, Flanders Red, Brett. C. Old Ale, Sour Stout, Brett C. Wild Bitter, Wild Cider
In the "cellar": Brett B. Tripel, Quadrupel, Tripel, Brett C. Oaked English Barleywine, Lamebic

Old 09-20-2011, 07:22 AM   #7
Qhrumphf
Stay Rude, Stay SHARP

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCaveman View Post
You're really supposed to take a gravity reading before you pitch your yeast, hence SG = starting gravity. You then take a FG or final gravity reading after you think it's nearing fermentation completion. Also, yes, 4-6 days is really short.
SG is specific gravity. All gravity readings will tell you SG. That's the point.
The initial one is OG (original gravity).

Old 09-20-2011, 09:42 AM   #8
Chap
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodatech View Post
Fermentation seems to have stopped after just 2 days, so I gave the fermenter a good shake, and I am going to let it sit some more.
Quit shaking the carboy, the yeast is fine and doing it's job

Congrats on the first brew but do yourself a favor and let it sit for at least 3 weeks (I prefer 3-5). Welcome to the obsession!

Old 09-20-2011, 11:29 AM   #9
Clann
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 51

You should let the beer ferment a minimum of 2 weeks to let the yeast finish up all of the fermentables. Then if gravity is stable, bottle.

Back Nine Brew&Wine
Life don't get better than a beer and a pepper.
What I am brewing is now a mystery

Old 09-20-2011, 03:54 PM   #10
Kodatech
Recipes 

Thanks for all the info. I did take an OG reading, and I REALLY don't want to open the fermenter and risk infection, so I was not planning on taking another SG reading until I was almost certain the fermentation was done.

Guess I will check it again after 2 weeks in the fermenter. How long does an ale usually take to bottle condition?

Quick Reply