Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Can't figure this out.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2008, 12:27 AM   #1
burnninator
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Can't figure this out.

Started a batch of "Brewers Best - Weizenbier" Sunday night, everything went well and my OG was 1.050 which is in range of where the instructions said it should be. I constantly checked the airlock for signs of fermentation until Wednesday morning, at this point I was mildly concerned and figured if I didn't see anything that night, I would take a reading on the hydrometer to see if maybe I missed it. I also went to the local homebrew shop to see what they suggested and they said the same thing about checking the gravity, but also suggested I buy some more yeast in case it hadn't started fermenting. Went home that night and still no go. I took a reading and it said 1.020 so I figured i must have missed it but it wasn't completely done yet because it was supposed to be between 1.010-1.014 according to the instructions. I figured I would check it in another couple days to see if anything has changed and it hasn't, it is still at 1.020 as of 10 minutes ago.

Any Suggestions? It seems to have stalled and I'm not sure what to do at this point, and the homebrew shop is closed until Monday.

Sorry if this is too long, wanted to be as detailed as possible. And thanks in advance for the help.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2008, 12:40 AM   #2
Parker36
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

When did you get a reading of 1.020 the first time? If you only started this on Sunday, you are only five days in, so give it another week or so fermenting and it will be all done. The yeast will get better attenuation, just give them time.

Old 11-29-2008, 12:41 AM   #3
burnninator
Recipes 

I got the first 1.020 on Wednesday

Old 11-29-2008, 12:43 AM   #4
Parker36
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Let it go a few more days then take another reading.

Old 11-29-2008, 12:45 AM   #5
burnninator
Recipes 

10-4 Thanks.

Old 11-29-2008, 01:53 AM   #6
Christian
Recipes 

I'd wait at least a few more days before taking another reading.

What is the temp of your fermentor? The temp may have dropped causing a slower ferment.

I believe Homer Simpson said it best "Alcohol, the cause of and solution to all of life's problems"

CMAC'S Brewery

Old 11-29-2008, 01:58 AM   #7
burnninator
Recipes 

I've got it in the little fridge I usually use for my keg, I have the thermostat set to 70 and the thermometer I have in there has read 70 every time I have checked it.

Old 11-29-2008, 02:09 AM   #8
shertz
Recipes 

Are you using a bucket or glass carboy for fermentation? If a bucket, your seal probably isn't good. If a carboy, replace that airlock. You really shouldn't miss some kind of airlock activity.

As far as the fridge temp, remember that when the yeast are active, they put out heat and 70 in the fridge isn't 70 in that fermenter. Get a stick thermometer so you can get accurate temps during fermentation. Looks like you got a good setup with a fermentation fridge.

Old 11-29-2008, 02:12 AM   #9
burnninator
Recipes 

It's in a bucket, how would i determine if it is a problem with the bucket? Do I just replace the whole thing?

When I put light pressure on the lid, I do get bubbles in the airlock so...

Old 11-29-2008, 02:25 AM   #10
shertz
Recipes 

If you have a black o-ring in the lid, it probably needs replaced. If no o-ring, get one. Sounds like airs escaping. If you just got the bucket, I would say something to someone where you got it, they probably will help you out. In the future, it'll give you a peace-of-mind.

Quick Reply