Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Can't believe my first batch tastes great!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2013, 03:47 AM   #1
billpaustin
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Can't believe my first batch tastes great!

I can't believe my first batch tastes great! It is a Belgian White Beer recipe, and it turned out fine. I got addicted to wheat/white beers after spending some months in Germany/Belgium.

But, the alcohol level was only 4.7%, before bottling. My guess is that it was brewed at too low a temperature, since in the mountains here, it can get to 60 degrees in my house at night (not running the heat). It went for 21 days though.

Is 4.7% a good value for a Belgian White beer? Will it get any higher after being in the bottles for a while? (primed with sugar).

When bottling, it smelled fantastic! And even after just a few days in the bottle, it has enough fizz to really taste good. I can't believe my first batch tastes great!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2013, 03:58 AM   #2
bd2xu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 35 Posts

Yep, 4.5-5.5 abv according to BJCP.

http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style16.php#1a

[B]On Deck:Imperial Stout
Primary: English IPA, Helles, Vienna Lager
Secondary:
On tap: Orange Belgian IPA, Irish Stout, American Amber, Oatmeal Brown, Ordinary Bitter
Bottled: Weizenbier, LaChouffe Clone, La Fin Du Monde Clone, Cottage House Oaked Saison with Chardonnay

“I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer.”

-Abraham Lincoln

Old 03-07-2013, 04:08 AM   #3
Nunner
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Congrats on the good first batch! I had great luck with my first (Vanilla Coffee Stout) and second (IIPA), got the third (Black IPA with bitter chocolate) bottled now.....we'll see about that one, its my first AG, and it didn't go so smooth.....as long as it has alcohol i'll chalk it up as a win.

Old 03-07-2013, 04:25 AM   #4
Graypayp
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by billpaustin View Post
Is 4.7% a good value for a Belgian White beer? Will it get any higher after being in the bottles for a while? (primed with sugar).
Congratulations - I'm glad your first batch turned out so well! My first batch was... eh... okay. This is surely a sign of promising things to come!

In answer to your question, yes, that's a pretty good ABV for a Belgian Wit. Mine have turned-out basically the same using White Labs WLP400 - Belgian Wit Ale Yeast, which I thought added terrific qualities to my own Wit, I must say.

Also remember that the level of ABV you achieve will have a great deal to do with the amount of malt or other fermentable sugars that you use, so in the future, if you're looking for something a bit higher in ABV and don't mind things a little denser, then just throw in another pound or so of malt extract and it should do the trick.

Just noticed that I didn't answer your second question... In answer to the question of will the ABV increase in-bottle, the answer is no. From what I've read, the priming sugar makes virtually no detectable difference in the final ABV in-bottle. But again, 4.7% is more than respectable for a Belgian Wit, so in my opinion, your first batch was plenty successful as is!

Looking for a reusable, affordable and convenient way to organize and label your home brews?

Check out... North Drive Brewing Labels

Reason: One more thought...

Old 03-07-2013, 04:57 AM   #5
Vinny91
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Congratulations! if only my first batch turned out awesome

Old 03-07-2013, 05:13 AM   #6
njs170
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

Congratz! Hopefully many more to come!

Old 03-07-2013, 05:17 AM   #7
Randomnoob
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Same here. My Hefeweizen is a huge hit. I went to a Texas Hold 'Em and beer tasting party this past Saturday. The three other guys there all loved it and so I won at poker and I brought the best beer.

S
After that its gone fast. Everybody is taking a couple bottles. I'm down to 27 after starting with 48. I just brewed a California Common beer for my second batch.

Old 03-08-2013, 01:54 AM   #8
billpaustin
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I used a Brew Craft Belgian Wit beer kit, using grain. I followed the instructions: boil the grain, cool it off, add stuff and boil some more, add yeast. I used 1/2 the hops, 1/2 the orange peel, and 1/2 of the coriander. I wanted to try for real Belgian style. The French, and also the Americans, tend to add too much spices for my taste.

My water is rainwater, very soft; I used a glass carboy and put it outside to cool off (it's cold here). Then three weeks in the carboy, no secondary; my temperatures range from 60-68, with some low 70's for a short time.

It started at 1.045, and finished at 1.100, which I think is 4.7% (right?). Then it was bottled.

I've spent many lunches in Europe drinking Belgian White beer, and I can't believe this turned out so well! Much better than Blue Moon or Shocktop (American corporate Belgian white beer).

So now I am hooked I ordered kegs, another carboy, etc, It looks like I can brew a better beer than I can buy, and for 1/2 price!

edit: we're at 8,000 feet here, not sure if that makes any difference

Old 03-08-2013, 02:33 AM   #9
bd2xu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 35 Posts

Congrats! Now that you're hooked there's a whole world of options and techniques... But don't think you're going to save money, not the reason to homebrew! 😄

[B]On Deck:Imperial Stout
Primary: English IPA, Helles, Vienna Lager
Secondary:
On tap: Orange Belgian IPA, Irish Stout, American Amber, Oatmeal Brown, Ordinary Bitter
Bottled: Weizenbier, LaChouffe Clone, La Fin Du Monde Clone, Cottage House Oaked Saison with Chardonnay

“I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer.”

-Abraham Lincoln

Old 03-08-2013, 03:23 AM   #10
BigFloyd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 628 Times on 549 Posts
Likes Given: 575

Quote:
Originally Posted by billpaustin View Post
I can't believe my first batch tastes great! It is a Belgian White Beer recipe, and it turned out fine. I got addicted to wheat/white beers after spending some months in Germany/Belgium.

But, the alcohol level was only 4.7%, before bottling.
Pursue the flavor. Concern not yourself about the ABV being just a bit low. IMO, it's so much better to have a really tasty 4.4% ABV brew than one with unpleasant off-flavors and 1-2% higher alcohol content.

Sounds like you did great.

Quick Reply