The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Cannot Submerge Digital Thermometer in Sanitizing Liquid What to do?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2008, 02:05 PM   #1
polamalu43
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Cannot Submerge Digital Thermometer in Sanitizing Liquid What to do?

Hi,

I have a digital thermometer and thus cannot submerge it completely in sanitizing liquid for fear of ruining the digital/battery part. Currently, I submerge the metallic stem in sanitizer while leaving the digital readout part of it dry. However, only 80% of the thermometer is getting sanitized, I’m worried that I’m having contamination issues. Any ideas/input? Should I get a new thermometer that I can completely submerge?

Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2008, 02:26 PM   #2
Funkenjaeger

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

If you are not completely submerging your thermometer in your wort, then why would you be so concerned about sanitizing the whole thing?

With that said, I recently bought a polder quick-tip digital thermometer from bed bath and beyond for about $17, that is water-resistant (they claim dishwasher-safe) and thus I have not hesitated to let it get splashed with water/sanitizer as needed, though I don't think I'd go so far as to submerge it when a quick spray of starsan is enough anyway. As a bonus, the quick-tip thing means it takes a reading in about half the time (or less) as it takes for most digital thermometers.

Old 03-05-2008, 02:29 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

+1 on the Frunken-meister's answer....don't worry about the part that's not going to be touching the wort.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-05-2008, 04:19 PM   #4
jmiracle

Recipes 

I just rub the sanitizer up the shaft as far as it can...man this isn't sounding right. Anyway, it's just contact, not full submersion that's needed to sanitize so if you're worried you could rub it right up to the very edge of the case. I also sanitize the cover for the probe before I put it away.

Don't worry about it unless you happen to be storing your thermometer in a manure pile or something between uses.

Incidentally, I've gotten the digital thermometer wet a bunch of times (even submerged it a few), it screws it up at the time but if you open the case and let it dry it seems to come back.

Bottled & carbing: Nothin
drinking: Poet on Payday Wee Heavy
gone but not forgotten: Wilford (Oatmeal Stout) Samhain Surprise Porter, J's Mirac-Ale (Brown Ale), Altered Beast Ale (German Alt), Chucks Not Ballys Cali Common, S'Wheat (Honey Weizen), NIHs (Numerous Identical Hefes), Wittler Farms Maple Brown, Failed Experimental Yarrow Beer, O'Mega Red (Irish Red)

Old 03-06-2008, 06:42 PM   #5
brandona33
Recipes 

I use the same type of digital. I fill a pint glass with enough H2O with sanitizer to cover the probe, and not hit the top. I keep the thermometer in that glass the whole boil, take a temp, put it back in the glass after. It is constantly clean that way.

Old 03-06-2008, 07:02 PM   #6
eddie
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Why do you even sanitize the thermometer at all? The boiling wort will kill anything that might get in it anyway.

Old 03-06-2008, 07:09 PM   #7
Donasay
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

you need to take post boil temperatures to know when to pitch the yeast.

No matter how rich you are, you can still only drink 16 or 17 liters of beer a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic View Post
The true definition of an addiction: not stopping even when a dog is having his way with you.:D
http://www.solutionsinmetal.com/

Old 03-06-2008, 11:55 PM   #8
eddie
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Of course!!!

I'm such a dumb-ass!!!