Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Can you use a bottling bucket (primary with spigot) as a primary?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2011, 02:01 AM   #1
abefroman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Can you use a bottling bucket (primary with spigot) as a primary?

Can you use a bottling bucket (primary with spigot) as a primary to ferment in? Or should I keep the one with the spigot just for bottling?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2011, 02:07 AM   #2
Tall_Yotie
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I use a spigot bucket for my primary, means I don't have to siphon into the bottling bucket.

Some will claim it leaves space for contamination, but I have had no issue.

However, you will want a bucket with spigot for bottling as well, as you don't want to bottle from the primary (don't want all that trub in your bottles).

Old 07-23-2011, 02:49 AM   #3
corkybstewart
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 150 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 119

I've used 6 gallon buckets with spigots for primaries since I started brewing in 1993 and never had an infected batch. Every 4 or 5 years I change the spigot and I never use any abrasives. I still use a couple of buckets(with spigots) that are 15 years old.

Old 07-23-2011, 03:08 AM   #4
jonmohno
Recipes 

Liked 410 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 1192

How are you adding your primng sugar straight to bottles? Problem is mixing in preboiled priming sugar, you dont really want to disturb the yeast sediment,thats why most rack to a botteling bucket, i did my first few your way but didnt trust using dry sugar to the botttles.

Old 07-23-2011, 04:04 AM   #5
bkorver
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Sounds a little too close to a Mr. Beer operation for my liking. Having said that, I don't think the homebrew police will be breaking down your door. As long as you love your beer, you did it right...

Old 07-23-2011, 04:19 AM   #6
PHillBrewCo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by abefroman View Post
Can you use a bottling bucket (primary with spigot) as a primary to ferment in? Or should I keep the one with the spigot just for bottling?
indeed!

"When all else fail, inhale a Ale" - Daniel Dumile

Old 07-23-2011, 04:21 AM   #7
PHillBrewCo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmohno View Post
How are you adding your primng sugar straight to bottles? Problem is mixing in preboiled priming sugar, you dont really want to disturb the yeast sediment,thats why most rack to a botteling bucket, i did my first few your way but didnt trust using dry sugar to the botttles.
carb tabs

"When all else fail, inhale a Ale" - Daniel Dumile

Old 07-23-2011, 04:28 AM   #8
jonmohno
Recipes 

Liked 410 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 1192

Pricey, but there ya go.Simple method,i agree, why take another risk of racking or sanitizing. I agree with that and it is so simple.Hope it works out well, i would have stuck to that if i had invested in a supply of carb tabs.I think i preferr dme to prime with though.

Old 07-23-2011, 04:31 AM   #9
Mongrel
Recipes 

Liked 145 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmohno View Post
I used the spigot to rack onto the priming sugar in a bottling bucket or carboy for dry hopping, now into the keg or carboy. Spigot level usually draws a bit of yeast initially, so I draw a sample or two for a gravity reading and to taste, and wait until I see clear beer to transfer.

Old 07-23-2011, 01:48 PM   #10
SailorTodd
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkorver View Post
Sounds a little too close to a Mr. Beer operation for my liking. Having said that, I don't think the homebrew police will be breaking down your door. As long as you love your beer, you did it right...
There's nothing wrong with a Mr Beer setup. The little fermenters they use are just as effective at fermenting beer as a food grade bucket or carboy. It's just a far more basic level of brewing, with practically just a "just add water" approach. But I've used my old MB fermenters for smaller batches of beer of my own creation even after I gave up Mr Beer style brewing for being too easy.

The only drawback to using a bottling bucket for a fermenter is the difficulty of controlling the trub uptake into a second bottling bucket/bottle with a spigot instead of using a siphon.

Quick Reply