Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Can you tell that this has been dry hopped?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2013, 02:52 AM   #11
boydster
Don't act like you're not impressed.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 723 Times on 500 Posts
Likes Given: 572

As long as you like the taste, that is all that matters - you are brewing for you, right? Glad it cleared up after a couple pints, and while I don't keg yet, I can tell you that some cold conditioning time will help clear a beer incredibly well. I cracked open a bottle of an amber I made the other day during a Patriots game, and I could see Tom Brady's jersey clear as day through the beer. When I tried my tester after only 6 hours in the fridge, there was so much chill haze it was unbelievable. It is amazing what some conditioning time can do for clarity.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2013, 03:00 AM   #12
PseudoChef

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Yeah, definitely, some beers may be hazy. I would never deduct points for a hazy APA, IPA, or IIPA while judging. But there's also a difference between murky and hazy. Murkiness will most definitely (I don't like to speak in absolutes, but I haven't found the exception yet) affects flavor and mouthfeel, and not in a good way!

Old 10-09-2013, 11:33 AM   #13
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4483 Times on 3261 Posts
Likes Given: 870

Quote:
Originally Posted by PseudoChef View Post
Yeah, definitely, some beers may be hazy. I would never deduct points for a hazy APA, IPA, or IIPA while judging. But there's also a difference between murky and hazy. Murkiness will most definitely (I don't like to speak in absolutes, but I haven't found the exception yet) affects flavor and mouthfeel, and not in a good way!
Agreed!

The other beer styles that can be quite hazy (but never murky!) are wheat beers. It's expected that a wheat beer is not clear- but it shouldn't be muddy or murky, and some brewers explain it to me as "It's a wheat beer, so I don't have to worry about clarity". That's true, as far as haze, but it shouldn't have suspended solids in it!

The nice thing about kegging is that once the first few pints are poured, as long as the keg isn't disturbed, the sediment stays put and the rest of the keg should pour clear.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:41 AM   #14
JonM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 743 Times on 523 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Yep, I recently dry-hopped a keg and didn't tie the bag tightly enough, so some leaves got out. The first few pulls looked like your pic, but it cleared up pretty quickly. Then I had to change the CO2 tank, which required me to move the keg out of the way. That stirred up the sediment, and I had leaves floating around again for a while. But, again, it cleared up pretty quickly.

Quick Reply