can you drill through a cooler to make a mash tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillTheSlink

Reaction score
I have to get away from fly sparging, it is a serious pain in my rectum. I was going to make a mash tun from a 48 qrt Igloo Cube, but I have heard through the grapevine the drain in no longer set up for a 1/2 inch nipple. Can I just drill it out to make the hole bigger? Anyone known the size to drill to clear the OD of a 1/2 inch NPT nipple. Also, since I can't use the silicon gasket it comes with anymore can I just use a normal rubber plumber's o ring?

I did!

My free donor cooler didn't have a hole at all, so drilled it with wood bits and sealed with plumbing odds and ends, washers and food grade silicon. It is aesthetically a nightmare, but works.

Don't know what sizes, mine is all in mm not inches...

I did!

My free donor cooler didn't have a hole at all, so drilled it with wood bits and sealed with plumbing odds and ends, washers and food grade silicon. It is aesthetically a nightmare, but works.

Don't know what sizes, mine is all in mm not inches...

Supper! I didn't know what was between the walls and was afraid I'd ruin it. Where does one find food grade silicon? I hope I don't have to mail order it or travel to the LHBS. Are you talking grease or caulk?

The bargain fittings link was very helpful. I would like to know where he found a 10 gallon drink cooler for 35.00 Canadian, as around here they are nearly $60.00 with Igloos a little more. I need two for a "Low Tech Lager" set up. I would rather have a square tun as it would seem easier to stir, and at 18 dollars a whole lot cheaper. The fitting place still is helpful though.

If anyone knows where to get 10 gallon Igloo or Rubbermaid water coolers around that price please chime in.

I've got the same cooler and had to drill it out. I used bathtub & sink sealant around the spigot.

Ah hell, by the time I got to figuring after I buy a drill, a spade bit, a tube of caulk, I would be better off just paying the extra 30.00 for another 10 gallon Rubbermaid. After looking at how the Cube is shaped I am not going to have that much more stirring room anyway. I remember someone on here saying they found some 10 Gallon water coolers with a house label at Home Depot. I'll go up there and check them out and see if they are any cheaper. There are none listed online. From what I've read the Rubbermaids hold their temperatures better in cold weather anyway. Thanks anyways.:mug:

If anyone knows of anybody having a sale or where you can get the 10 gallon Rubbermaids or Igloos reasonable, let me know.

I used bathtub & sink sealant around the spigot.

Yow. Non-food grade material but judging from your track record on this site, you're enjoying the results so all's fair in love and brewing.

And remember with coolers, you don't need to necessarily get the super-thick "5 day ice" coolers. You are keeping your mash in them for maybe an hour and a half?

But use what you can afford.

Most coolers with or without a spout just have a ballcock valve/spigot drilled into them, and yes, sealed well (keeping in mind hot temperatures and expansion of materials).

Back