New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > can you condition in growlers?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2011, 08:18 PM   #1
hardman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default can you condition in growlers?

I am going to bottle my second batch of beer next week and was wondering if it would be ok to condition the beer in a few growlers. I see ni reason not to, since they are made to hold carbonated beer in the first place....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2011, 08:20 PM   #2
Kahler
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 2

They are made to hold carbonated beer, not carbonate beer. Do a search.

Old 11-09-2011, 08:33 PM   #3
LandoLincoln

Recipes 

Liked 370 Times on 222 Posts
Likes Given: 9

In general...

Swing top growlers can be carbonated in.

Twist top growlers cannot be carbonated in.

Old 11-09-2011, 08:36 PM   #4
bomberman
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I switched to 2l Grolsch bottles since I am lazy and hate bottling and so far they've been working great. You can find them at just about any online homebrew store.

Old 11-09-2011, 08:38 PM   #5
Brewchitect
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 23

growlers are too expensive to have them exploding.

Old 11-09-2011, 08:47 PM   #6
remman4
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I successfully did one batch in screw top growlers, but you are asking for trouble... I got lucky even though the tops were visibly pushed out due to carbonation forces

Old 11-10-2011, 12:15 AM   #7
bighorn_brew
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 22

At your own risk, and before I thought better of it,,,I would do half a batch (5 gal) in bottles and half in growlers, I purchased the black screw tops (at local brewshop) that have a milky white insert in them to make them air tight I presumed. I did this for probably 3 dozen batches without incident. In fact I am thinking of doing it for a few batches in the future as a easy way to give beer away...

Old 11-10-2011, 12:20 AM   #8
Jklinden
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

What about mason jars? I bet that would work

Old 11-10-2011, 12:24 AM   #9
Gear101
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 187

I only use fips and never had a problem, and done many brews in them.

Old 11-10-2011, 12:28 AM   #10
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2657 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 3445

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jklinden View Post
What about mason jars? I bet that would work
Why do people always wanna f-around with stuff NOT holding beer, when beer bottles are practically free and easy to come by?

Mason jars are meant to hold a vaccum, not the outward pressure of carbonation pressing on the screw ring.

Drink out of them, but don't bottle in them.

They work by creating a vacuum when you can under pressure... WHen you put your food in the jar, seal the jar and stick it inside the boiling water bath, the vacuum draws the seal downward or inward that's why the dimple on a can is supposed to be pushed inward, and if you ever come a cross a can where it is bulging outward you are in trouble...

When you bottle, the gas builds up til it maxes out the head room (held in place by the crimped cap or the cork with wire or the gasket on a grolh bottle.....The co2 hits the barrier, maxes it and then goes back into solution/

With a mason jar you would either blow the seal and all the co2 would escape or if you were lucky enough that the seal held, more than likely the glass of the jar would explode and you would have a nice bottle grenade....

The tops for a mason jar typically is a thin metal lid with a rubberized "grommet" attached to is, really just a silicon band around the edge of the lid, and a retaining ring.

When you can, the cooling of the once heated container and it's goodies creates a vaccuum, it sucks inward. It pulls the flat tightly Downward.

In fact many of the lids actually has a small indentation in the center of it, that when the vacuum occurs it is pulled inward on the top and leaves a little dimple. That's a sign that there is a vacuum pulling the lid down and keeping the veggies or jam sealed up nicely and protected from infection.

And usually after you remove the retaining ring, if everything is OK with the jar, you usually can feel/hear the the vaccum break, with a little *POP*

However any of you who have ACTUALLY canned before, probably knows that one of the ways you can tell if your food in the can spoiled is if the little dimple is pushed outword. In jars without the dimple it is really hard, usually the lid might feel loose or there might actually be wetness around the lid when you unscrew the retaining

Because usually the rotting food give of a gas which expands to push up the dimple OR it breaks the seal where the little lid gasket meets the rim of the glass.

There is considerably MORE pressure in the carbonation process of beer, often enough pressure to cause a BOTTLE BOMB, in bottles specifically made to handle the OUTWARD pressure of carbonation.

Now if you managed to find one of these older style, thick walled jars with big gaskets and flip tops...We MIGHT be having a different discussion.

But your typical jars from the grocery store...NOT.

A crown bottles cap is designed to contain the Outward and upward pressure of a beer bottle, we crimp it down, we don't create a vacuum that seats it on the bottle.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply