Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Can you bottle beer from the keg?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2013, 02:01 PM   #1
jrc64
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Can you bottle beer from the keg?

I want to keg my next batch of beer, but also want to give out around 12 bottles to friends. Once carbonated and ready to drink, can I put the kegged beer into bottles and cap them? If so, how long will it stay good in the bottle?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2013, 02:03 PM   #2
freisste
Recipes 

Liked 294 Times on 245 Posts

You can, but not by pouring into a bottle the way you'd serve a glass.

Google "we no need no stinking beer gun" for a pretty good write up on a cheap version of a beer gun.

Old 10-04-2013, 02:04 PM   #3
tx-brewer
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 16

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/we-n...eer-gun-24678/

Old 10-04-2013, 03:24 PM   #4
WileECoyote
Naked Brew !
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 152 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 229

Hello, Yes you can, I do it all the time, I use 3/8" tubing about 8" long and jam it up into the tap, chill bottles in the freezer for about 5 min, disconnect keg, purge keg, lower co2 psi to around 2 psi, hook up keg and fill bottles making sure the tubing is in the bottom of the bottle, and cap them.

Of corse I sanitize everything first.

This method works great, Also works on filling growers too.

If you are careful the beer will still be carbed nicely in the bottles, beers bottled this way seem to last as long as you want to keep them, I have some that are 4 months old and no problems yet.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

WileECoyote
Naked Brew

Bartender Ill have what the gentleman on the floor is drinking.

I have spent more $ on brewing equipment than my truck cost!

Green beer sucks, let it age/condition/finish and become great before drinking it. WileECoyote

Good/Great beer takes time! if you want a quick beer go to the store or bar!

Things come and go. Good beer will live on for ever ! WileECoyote

Old 10-04-2013, 04:48 PM   #5
jrc64
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I'm assumming when you say "disconnect keg", that you mean disconnect the CO2 "in" from the keg correct? No need to diconnect the "out"?

Old 10-04-2013, 05:01 PM   #6
fc36
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 27

I have the benefit of working in the CEMS industry and have access to some awesome 3/8" PFA tubing. Way better than standard beer hose because it's incredibly stiff and can hold a shape, but is still bendable unlike racking cane plastic. I cut mine into about 12-16" sections and cut an angle at one end. I jam the straight cut end into my cobra tap and slip a #2 bung over the tube and then the angle notched side goes down into any 12 or 22oz bottle and I fill 'er up, taking care to "burp" off excess CO2 with the bung. My bottles last FOREVER and it also works great with growlers if you have the right size bung.

When I first started kegging, I built a Blichmann Beergun clone out of spare SS swagelok fittings lying around our shop. It's a serious looking beergun and has two thumb valves going to a T which feeds across a needle valve (CO2 bleedoff) and down into a 1' section of SS tubing. I used it a couple times and it produces the same results as my buddy's beergun, but the PFA tubing method works just as well and I can bottle up a six-pack in under 3 minutes on my way out the door to a friend's house. Needless to say, the $150 or so of swagelok fittings are just a fancy shiny paperweight in my brewbox now.

EDIT: We just cleaned up our shop (Company President is coming for a visit) and now I have a whole mess of 3/8" PFA scrap pieces that are just begging to be made into ghetto beerguns. People can PM me if they want some. Just provide your own #2 bung and cobra tap and you're all set.

Old 10-15-2013, 01:43 AM   #7
WileECoyote
Naked Brew !
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 152 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc64 View Post
I'm assumming when you say "disconnect keg", that you mean disconnect the CO2 "in" from the keg correct? No need to diconnect the "out"?
Yes you got it.

Cheers

WileECoyote
Naked Brew

Bartender Ill have what the gentleman on the floor is drinking.

I have spent more $ on brewing equipment than my truck cost!

Green beer sucks, let it age/condition/finish and become great before drinking it. WileECoyote

Good/Great beer takes time! if you want a quick beer go to the store or bar!

Things come and go. Good beer will live on for ever ! WileECoyote

Quick Reply