Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Can You Add Sugars to Increase Alcohol after Wort is in Fermentation Tank?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2009, 08:55 PM   #11
pcancila
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan! View Post
That's exactly what I'm saying. So many recipes/kits have terrible directions that tell you to "ferment for 7 days, then bottle" or some similar tripe. Fermentation is not measured in time, the yeast don't watch a clock.

If you have a thief, that's the best way to take a sample. The biggest concern when taking samples is bacterial/wild yeast contamination, but as long as you adequately sanitize your thief, that shouldn't be an issue. Just make sure not to add the sample back to the fermenter!!! As for oxidation, there's a blanket of c02 on the beer, so I wouldn't be concerned about that either.

Well, I suggest you get a refractometer, which allows you to take gravity readings during the boil, instantly. Regardless, if you were to add sugar, it would up your ABV, but might also dry it out and that's not a good thing in this style. You could add some more malt extract, but then you'd have to boil up a new portion, and that would lower your IBU's and hop character, and, well, again, not a good idea. Don't worry about the alcohol! If you wanna get drunk, just toss a shot of vodka into the glass...
Thank you for the advice! I have a beer thief, I will take a gravity reading tonight!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply