Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Can you add more wort after pitching yeast?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2011, 07:21 PM   #1
RyGuy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Can you add more wort after pitching yeast?

I will be trying out my first all grain batch later this week using the brew in a bag method. Since I only have a 5 gallon pot, I am planning on splitting the recipe in half and doing two 2.5 gallon boils.

I was wondering the best way to combine the batches into one. Here are the options I was thinking:

1) Brew the first batch, add it to the primary, then brew the second batch, add it to the primary and brew as usual.

2) Brew the first batch, add to the primary and pitch the yeast, then immediately brew the second and add it to the already fermenting beer

3) Brew the first batch, add to the primary and pitch the yeast, then brew the second half the next day and add it to the already fermenting beer.

My problem with option 1 is that the first batch of beer would be susceptible to infection while waiting for the second to brew, which lead me to option 2, which is what I am planning on doing.

But then I thought about option 3, my reasoning is that the first batch will act as a starter and the yeast will multiply, and the effective yeast pitching rate will be much higher.

I'm sure any of the above options would work, but do you guys have any thoughts on what would be best?

By the way, the recipe is a Hoegaarden clone, so it is a wheat beer which should ferment vigorously and quickly. I am not sure if that will have any effect on which option is best, but I feel it might.

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2011, 07:23 PM   #2
mcaple1
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

Why not....it's called "feeding"

Old 11-06-2011, 07:40 PM   #3
2brew1cup
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Which one is called feeding..?

underground and under the influence

Breakers of the world, Unite!

Old 11-07-2011, 01:36 PM   #4
RyGuy
Recipes 

I think I am going to go with option 3. To me it makes sense to let the yeast grow in the small batch and then add more. I can't see why it wouldn't work.

Plus, this way I can brew two days this weekend instead of one!

I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

Old 11-07-2011, 05:31 PM   #5
maltoftheearth
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Is there really enough time between the two brewing periods to allow for yeast to multiply?

What would happen if you let it ferment out then added more wort?

Brewed in 2014: Rye IPA, Honey Sage Ale, Belgian Golden Strong, California Common, Bavarian Style Lager, Weizen, Coffee Stout, Gruit, Gale Ale, Isle of Skye Golden clone, Oktoberfest, Rauchbier, Alpha Male IPA & Chocolate Pepper Stout.

Old 11-07-2011, 05:36 PM   #6
dcp27
Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 3

unless you're going over 12lbs of grain or no-sparge, then theres really no need to split it. you can top off after to make up the volume. I've done it a number of times and so hasnt Revvy and others.

Old 11-07-2011, 05:38 PM   #7
Mpavlik22
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Option 3 is what alot of microbreweries do. It allows them to make a double batch with one yeast pitch. Most add the second round of wort at high krausen which is normally a day after pitching the yeast.

"If you fail to plan, then you plan to fail"

Old 11-07-2011, 07:40 PM   #8
gr8shandini
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 43 Posts

How about option 4: Collect 4 gallons of higher gravity wort, boil down to 3 gals, then top off with 2 gallons of previously boiled water as you would an extract batch? Do a search for "high gravity brewing" or similar and you'll find plenty of threads with the particulars.

There's nothing wrong with any of the strategies you stated, but I'd rather just tweak my hop schedule a little than go through two brew days for one batch.

Old 11-07-2011, 07:54 PM   #9
RyGuy
Recipes 

Thanks for the idea Gr8shandini. That's a really good one.

I think I'll stick with my original plan for this brew since its the first time I'm doing an all grain batch. I don't want to try to many new things at once.

I'll definately give the high gravity thing a try on my next batch though.

Old 11-07-2011, 07:59 PM   #10
gr8shandini
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 43 Posts

I wish I could claim that idea as my own, but it's just something I read here on HBT. Heck, I even got beaten to it on this thread (see dcp27's post).

Quick Reply