Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Can we bottle yet, can we, can we bottle yet?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2005, 07:20 PM   #1
El Pistolero
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
El Pistolero's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Houston, Baja Oklahoma
Posts: 3,598
Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Can we bottle yet, can we, can we bottle yet?

Ok, I know patience is a virtue and all that, but my first batch has been in the secondary for a week now, and I'd really like to show it off to my smart-aleck brother-in-law two weeks from tomorrow. Assuming that the SG when I check it is below 1.010, would the beer be better off spending those two weeks bottle conditioning, or should I give it another week in the secondary and hope it's not too green after a week in the bottles? Or should I wait another 3 or 4 days to split the difference?

My OG was 1.045, the SG was 1.016 when I racked to the secondary a week ago, and at the moment I'm getting a bubble in the airlock every 4.5 minutes or so.

__________________

[/I] Up Next - Hobgoblin
After That - Czech Pilsner
Primary - Humboldt Hop Rod (4/24)
Primary - NOT Wheat AG SNCA (5/5)
Secondary -
Conditioning - SNCA Clone (3/3),

El Pistolero is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2005, 07:35 PM   #2
DeRoux's Broux
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
DeRoux's Broux's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Beaumont, Texas
Posts: 2,966
Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default

i'd let it sit another few days. i usually let my standard ales sit 10 days in the secondary, or until i see no activity and the beer is clear. if you want to impress the smart-aleck BIL, let the beer mature and give it 3 weeks in the bottle. you'll be glad you did. it sux waiting for beers. the #1 reason i went to kegging. plus, i think the carbonation is better and easier to duplicate.

what type of brew is it?

good luck with the in-laws!

__________________

Cheers!
DeRoux's Broux

DeRoux's Broux is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2005, 07:48 PM   #3
El Pistolero
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
El Pistolero's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Houston, Baja Oklahoma
Posts: 3,598
Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeRoux's Broux
what type of brew is it?
It's supposed to be an Amber Ale...I told the guy at Defalco's that I like Fat Tire, and I like Scotch Ales. He gave me a pale ale kit (I think) with two extra lbs. of LME and told me to cut the bittering hops by 1/3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeRoux's Broux
if you want to impress the smart-aleck BIL, let the beer mature and give it 3 weeks in the bottle. you'll be glad you did.
Yeah, I guess I could just take him a few bottle (the green ones ) and have him let it sit for a couple of weeks before he drinks it...we're meeting up in KC for a family thing. I hate family things, but a chance to get KC BBQ is too good to pass up
__________________

[/I] Up Next - Hobgoblin
After That - Czech Pilsner
Primary - Humboldt Hop Rod (4/24)
Primary - NOT Wheat AG SNCA (5/5)
Secondary -
Conditioning - SNCA Clone (3/3),

El Pistolero is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2005, 08:13 PM   #4
DeRoux's Broux
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
DeRoux's Broux's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Beaumont, Texas
Posts: 2,966
Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default

it's all worth it for the BBQ!

DeFalcos has a recipe clone for Fat Tire (Flat Tire). it's an extract/grain recipe on their web page. check and see if it was the same one????? they are PDG and have always done good on my recipe requests. my favorite shop by far.

__________________

Cheers!
DeRoux's Broux

DeRoux's Broux is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2005, 09:19 PM   #5
El Pistolero
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
El Pistolero's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Houston, Baja Oklahoma
Posts: 3,598
Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeRoux's Broux
DeFalcos has a recipe clone for Fat Tire (Flat Tire). it's an extract/grain recipe on their web page. check and see if it was the same one????? they are PDG and have always done good on my recipe requests. my favorite shop by far.
Yeah I mentioned their "Flat Tyre" recipe, but I also told him I was a newbie, so he diplomatically steered me away from trying partial grain on my first batch. Here's the recipe he gave me:

1 Can (4 lbs) Mountmellick Malt Extract (Export Ale - Hopped Malt Extract)
2 lbs unhopped malt extract
1 pkg Burton Water Salts
1/2 oz. Fuggle Hop Pellets (30 min)
1/2 oz. Fuggle Hop Pellets (after boil)
1 pkg (11 g) Windsor Brewing Yeast
1 pkg Bru-Vigor (yeast food)
3/4 cup corn sugar (priming)
__________________

[/I] Up Next - Hobgoblin
After That - Czech Pilsner
Primary - Humboldt Hop Rod (4/24)
Primary - NOT Wheat AG SNCA (5/5)
Secondary -
Conditioning - SNCA Clone (3/3),

El Pistolero is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2005, 10:59 PM   #6
bikebryan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 556
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pistolero
Ok, I know patience is a virtue and all that, but my first batch has been in the secondary for a week now, and I'd really like to show it off to my smart-aleck brother-in-law two weeks from tomorrow. Assuming that the SG when I check it is below 1.010, would the beer be better off spending those two weeks bottle conditioning, or should I give it another week in the secondary and hope it's not too green after a week in the bottles? Or should I wait another 3 or 4 days to split the difference?

My OG was 1.045, the SG was 1.016 when I racked to the secondary a week ago, and at the moment I'm getting a bubble in the airlock every 4.5 minutes or so.
This is where a hydrometer comes in very handy. Use it to take readings for a few days. It the SG is holding steady, you can safely prime and bottle. If the SG is still dropping, then it isn't done fermenting and you could be in for bottle grenades.
__________________
bikebryan is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2005, 01:35 PM   #7
DeRoux's Broux
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
DeRoux's Broux's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Beaumont, Texas
Posts: 2,966
Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pistolero
Yeah I mentioned their "Flat Tyre" recipe, but I also told him I was a newbie, so he diplomatically steered me away from trying partial grain on my first batch. Here's the recipe he gave me:

1 pkg (11 g) Windsor Brewing Yeast
you can do the extract w/ grains. it's a breeze. just takes a little more time.
if i can make one suggestion, i'd use the liquide White Labs or Wyeast next time you brew. world of difference in your beers. it's a little more expensive ($6-$7), but worth the price of admission!

BikeBryan is right about taking Specific Gravity readings to determine if it's ready to bottle, but i don't. i'd rather not take another chance of contamination and wasting beer to take readings in. (PLUS, I'M LAZY!!!!)

let us know how it goes.
__________________

Cheers!
DeRoux's Broux

DeRoux's Broux is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2005, 03:35 PM   #8
El Pistolero
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
El Pistolero's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Houston, Baja Oklahoma
Posts: 3,598
Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeRoux's Broux
you can do the extract w/ grains. it's a breeze. just takes a little more time.
if i can make one suggestion, i'd use the liquide White Labs or Wyeast next time you brew. world of difference in your beers. it's a little more expensive ($6-$7), but worth the price of admission!

BikeBryan is right about taking Specific Gravity readings to determine if it's ready to bottle, but i don't. i'd rather not take another chance of contamination and wasting beer to take readings in. (PLUS, I'M LAZY!!!!)

let us know how it goes.
Yeah, I'd already decided to go for partial grain on my next batch. Everything seemed like rocket science when all I'd done was read about it, so KISS seemed like the best course of action. Now that I've been through it once everything seems so much easier.

I'm kind of like you on the SG readings...don't want to part with that third of a beer, and too lazy to do the cleaning/sanitizing any more often than is absolutely necessary. Plus I'm scared to death of hydrometers...they'd break every time I touched em back in the college chem lab days.
__________________

[/I] Up Next - Hobgoblin
After That - Czech Pilsner
Primary - Humboldt Hop Rod (4/24)
Primary - NOT Wheat AG SNCA (5/5)
Secondary -
Conditioning - SNCA Clone (3/3),

El Pistolero is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2005, 04:36 PM   #9
DeRoux's Broux
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
DeRoux's Broux's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Beaumont, Texas
Posts: 2,966
Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default

i meant to tell you earlier about the Bay Area Mashtronauts "Lunar Rendezbrew" coming up on Sunday, July 25th. It's at the Seabrook Community Center on Hwy 146 from noon to 6 pm. all the Houston area clubs will be there for a competition, drinking, and eating. it's open to the public, and i think it's $15 for all the beer and food you can consume???? each club brings beer, sets up a booth, and the first club to float their beer, gets a medal.

you ought to check it out. about 8 of our club guys will be there w/ beer in tow (look for 'em, Golden Triangle Homebrew Club). i've never made it, and can't this time, but they say it's a helluva time w/ good beer. you can learn a lot at these shin-dig's too. good tips on brewing, recipes, plus you'll meet some good people.

__________________

Cheers!
DeRoux's Broux

DeRoux's Broux is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2005, 05:23 PM   #10
El Pistolero
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
El Pistolero's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Houston, Baja Oklahoma
Posts: 3,598
Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeRoux's Broux
i meant to tell you earlier about the Bay Area Mashtronauts "Lunar Rendezbrew" coming up on Sunday, July 25th. It's at the Seabrook Community Center on Hwy 146 from noon to 6 pm. all the Houston area clubs will be there for a competition, drinking, and eating. it's open to the public, and i think it's $15 for all the beer and food you can consume???? each club brings beer, sets up a booth, and the first club to float their beer, gets a medal.

you ought to check it out. about 8 of our club guys will be there w/ beer in tow (look for 'em, Golden Triangle Homebrew Club). i've never made it, and can't this time, but they say it's a helluva time w/ good beer. you can learn a lot at these shin-dig's too. good tips on brewing, recipes, plus you'll meet some good people.
Thanks for the heads up...I worked with a couple of home brewers at NASA (18 years ago), maybe I'll run into some old buds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeRoux's Broux
each club brings beer, sets up a booth, and the first club to float their beer, gets a medal.
What does "float their beer" mean?
__________________

[/I] Up Next - Hobgoblin
After That - Czech Pilsner
Primary - Humboldt Hop Rod (4/24)
Primary - NOT Wheat AG SNCA (5/5)
Secondary -
Conditioning - SNCA Clone (3/3),

El Pistolero is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Better Bottle or plastic water cooler bottle? Crash Equipment/Sanitation 14 04-29-2010 01:06 AM
For Sale - Bottle Tree/Sulfiter/Bottle Cleaner--$25 agroff383 For Sale 3 10-19-2009 09:08 PM
Exchanging a Argon bottle for a Nitrogen bottle BrewBeemer Equipment/Sanitation 1 05-30-2009 03:19 PM
Bottle in the Miller Lite 16oz Al bottle/can things beesy General Beer Discussion 5 03-30-2009 08:18 PM
Can you transfer from bottle to bottle w/o losing carbonation? Thor Bottling/Kegging 2 02-20-2006 11:54 AM