Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Can someone tell me if this is done?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2013, 05:52 AM   #1
roadto15RTR
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Can someone tell me if this is done?

Hey all, some buddies and I brewed our first batch ever a week ago, it was the american wheat extract kit from Northern Brewer. I know everyone says just wait a little bit longer just in case, but we all have stuff going on over the next couple weeks so it will be a long time before we were able to touch it. And the instructions say that it should be done fermenting after 1-2 weeks. We were planning on moving it to the secondary for a few days even though the recipe says it is not necessary, I read that doing so helps with clarity and smoothness. So can anyone tell me if this looks done? Also it is still bubbling a little bit, on average once every 53 seconds. The photo is attached

fermentation.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 05:57 AM   #2
oldstyle69
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 160

its "done" when ever you want it to be done. will it be better if you leave it in the carboy for about 30ish days? yes. do you need to? no. did you guys take gravity readings or any thing?

Old 01-22-2013, 05:57 AM   #3
lazarus0530
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadto15RTR
Hey all, some buddies and I brewed our first batch ever a week ago, it was the american wheat extract kit from Northern Brewer. I know everyone says just wait a little bit longer just in case, but we all have stuff going on over the next couple weeks so it will be a long time before we were able to touch it. And the instructions say that it should be done fermenting after 1-2 weeks. We were planning on moving it to the secondary for a few days even though the recipe says it is not necessary, I read that doing so helps with clarity and smoothness. So can anyone tell me if this looks done? Also it is still bubbling a little bit, on average once every 53 seconds. The photo is attached
Leave it alone. Let it sit for 3-4 weeks. It will be fine relax.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:58 AM   #4
dcocch
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus0530 View Post
Leave it alone. Let it sit for 3-4 weeks. It will be fine relax.
+1. Let it sit in primary until you have time to bottle it. You'll accomplish very little by racking to secondary for a couple of days. Also, racking to bottling bucket and bottling only takes about 2 hours. My first time it took me 3 hours from prep to clean up and I was by myself. If you have a buddy or two you'll be done in no time with one guy prepping bottles, one filling bottles, and one capping. Cheers.
Drinking:True Brew Pale Ale

Old 01-22-2013, 11:10 AM   #5
iBrewR
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

It's a wheat beer! Clarity is not a issue. If the gravity has been stable for a few days it's ready to bottle. Shouldn't take more than a couple of weeks, tops. No secondary, no cold crash. If it's done, bottle it and you'll be drinking your fresh wheat beer that much sooner.

Old 01-22-2013, 11:16 AM   #6
WoodlandBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 57

+1 to not racking until you are ready to bottle. If you can cold crash it will help clarity. A refiderator works best, but this time of year a garage, or a water bath outside might work depending on location.

Like this:
http://woodlandbrew.blogspot.com/2012/11/lagering-outside.html

... Buy yes, a wheat beer is expected to be a little hazy.

The 2nd edition is now available: Brewing Engineering
BLOG: Brewing Boiled Down Brewing science for those of us without a Ph.D

Old 01-22-2013, 11:25 AM   #7
Hopper5000
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 48

take a gravity reading then wait a couple days and take another one. If it doesn't change then it's done in primary. There are debates currently about if it's beneficial to leave the beer on the yeast for a while after it's done or if one should take it off immediately. I usually let mine go for about 2 weeks then either bottle/keg or put it in secondary for clarity.

Old 01-22-2013, 01:52 PM   #8
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 192 Times on 158 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopper5000 View Post
take a gravity reading then wait a couple days and take another one. If it doesn't change then it's done in primary. There are debates currently about if it's beneficial to leave the beer on the yeast for a while after it's done or if one should take it off immediately. I usually let mine go for about 2 weeks then either bottle/keg or put it in secondary for clarity.
The only thing you want to avoid is packaging early (if bottling, moot if kegging) to avoid bottle bombs. This is one reason why many folks like to wait 3-4 weeks, just to be sure. But if it is done fermenting, then it is done, and for a wheat beer, there really is no reason to do a long conditioning (either in the primary or in a secondary).

As to the debate over primary only, versus secondary, I personally find this silly, as it really is personal preference. Either method is perfectly valid and can make great beer. It comes down to which method gives you the flavors YOU want. You can't debate what somebody else prefers. The best thing to do is to brew the same beer both ways and see which you prefer.

As to your beer, if is starting to clear, it is probably ready to package, just do the gravity checks to be sure (if bottling). If you keg, then don't worry, you'll just end up with more yeast in the bottom if it wasn't quite done yet.
Primary: Pale Ale
Brewing soon: Saison
Recently kicked : ( IPA, Bock, Saison,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Old 01-23-2013, 08:49 PM   #9
Hopper5000
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 44 Posts