Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Can I use only DME and skip the extract?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2009, 04:34 PM   #1
neldred
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Can I use only DME and skip the extract?

I've read around here that the DME tastes better (i.e. less "extracty"), is DME only ever used for a base in addition to extract, or can a recipe be done ONLY with DME and steeped flavor grains? Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2009, 04:37 PM   #2
ThreeRatBastards
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 4 Posts

You can substitute DME for LME in any recipe, just use 80% DME to the amount of LME they are asking for.

For example, if a recipe calls for 6 lbs LME.
6 * 0.80 = 4.8 lbs DME

Last edited by ThreeRatBastards; 10-16-2009 at 04:40 PM.

Old 10-16-2009, 04:37 PM   #3
Palefire
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Lots of recipes are made with only DME and steeped grains. DME is just LME with some of the water removed. My experience is that it doesn't necessarily taste less "extracty," especially if the LME is somewhat fresh, but it does allow you to make a lighter-colored beer. If you search the forums there are long discussions comparing the merits of each.
But if you only want to use DME there should be no problems whatsoever.

Old 10-16-2009, 04:40 PM   #4
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 461 Times on 367 Posts
Likes Given: 17

btw, just so you don't get confused asking for it at your LHBS, DME is extract. It's just dry malt extract instead of liquid malt extract.

FWIW, I only use LME and I can make light beers with it. You just get light or extra light extract and add it very late in the boil. Works perfectly and I don't have to worry about whisking out the DME dumplings.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 10-16-2009, 04:45 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Dme is DRY MALT EXTRACT....LME is LIQUID MALT EXTRACT.

And yes, you can make DME/Steeping grain extract beers, in fact I prefer DME over LME in any extract recipes I make.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-16-2009, 05:20 PM   #6
neldred
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thank you!!

Old 10-16-2009, 06:00 PM   #7
Richabt
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I also prefer DME over liquid. It's much easier to work with and it will hold up longer.

Old 10-16-2009, 06:08 PM   #8
mindcrime
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I must be the only person here who likes LME over DME. Then again, I have a close by source of fresh bulk LME, in light, amber, dark, wheat, and munich varieties.

I personally find it very easy to work with, whereas DME clumps, costs nearly twice as much, only comes in set amount packages (where I can buy odd weights of LME just fine,) and comes in less variety than LME at my LHBS.

I do do late additions for lighter beers, but to be honest, i dont make that many that are lighter than an american IPA, and its not hard to do that with LME at all. Now, if you want a light fizzy lawnmower beer, you might have a different opinion. But hey, to each his own.

Absolutely nothing wrong with LME. You can make great beers with it as long as its fresh, unhopped, and handled properly.

Old 10-16-2009, 06:15 PM   #9
weirdboy
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 428 Times on 349 Posts
Likes Given: 60

I like to keep DME around for making starters and the occasional extract/partial mash batch, and for those times when I really miss my target pre-boil gravity on AG batches and need to adjust during the boil.

DME is easier for me to measure out small amounts, like when I just need a few ounces for a starter, and I don't have to worry about storage. When I am running low, I just pick up a few bags, throw them in the back of the pantry, and forget about it for the next several months.

Old 10-16-2009, 06:19 PM   #10
HiGravShawn

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindcrime View Post
I must be the only person here who likes LME over DME. Then again, I have a close by source of fresh bulk LME, in light, amber, dark, wheat, and munich varieties.

I personally find it very easy to work with, whereas DME clumps, costs nearly twice as much, only comes in set amount packages (where I can buy odd weights of LME just fine,) and comes in less variety than LME at my LHBS.

I do do late additions for lighter beers, but to be honest, i dont make that many that are lighter than an american IPA, and its not hard to do that with LME at all. Now, if you want a light fizzy lawnmower beer, you might have a different opinion. But hey, to each his own.

Absolutely nothing wrong with LME. You can make great beers with it as long as its fresh, unhopped, and handled properly.
Me too. The problems with boil overs, clumping, and all the required whisking makes me reach for LME over DME for most boils. Although I do like DME for starters.

Quick Reply