Can I use my wifes porcelain enamel canning pot for a brew pot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SNPorter

Reaction score
Just wondering if I can use my wifes porcelain enameled canning pot for a brewing pot, at least until I find a stainless pot.

Haha, yeah and I think I'm going to do my first batch when she's gone for a couple days. :mug:

Good plan! Before you use it, though, check to see if there are any chips on the inside. I had one that I've always used for canning, but found out there was a small chip when I went to use it. You definitely don't want any chips in there, as you can get a "metallic" flavor from it. My chips even had a bit of rust on them, but I didn't notice it until I inspected it for brewing.

Might want to ask your wife rather than us.

Just cause we say you can, doesn't mean you should. Kinda like using her panty hose as a hop sock.

Good plan! Before you use it, though, check to see if there are any chips on the inside. I had one that I've always used for canning, but found out there was a small chip when I went to use it. You definitely don't want any chips in there, as you can get a "metallic" flavor from it. My chips even had a bit of rust on them, but I didn't notice it until I inspected it for brewing.

Yes I will inspect it well. I see you're a fellow yooper eh. :mug: What part of the UP are you from? I'm in Marquette, grew up in Bessemer.

Might want to ask your wife rather than us.

Just cause we say you can, doesn't mean you should. Kinda like using her panty hose as a hop sock.

Yeah I was planning on it. Just wanted to make sure it was a viable option before I bothered. Now the panty hose, that's an interesting idea lol.

Back