The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Can i tell if my hop pellets are ok before using?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2012, 10:39 PM   #1
CarnieBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Can i tell if my hop pellets are ok before using?

Hey all, i'm planning to brew my first ever extract/partial today after a few very successful brews with kits.

The recipe calls for various additions of Amarillo during the boil...i have two packs of Amarillo hop pellets that I bought from different places at different times. I'm a little concerned about the freshness of the 2nd pack...it's extremely well packaged in thick plastic with every last little bit of air sucked out of it...but i'm not sure they've been kept cold since packaging.

When i'm ready to brew, i'll open both packs to have a smell, but having never used my own hops before, i'm not sure what to expect. Should it be obvious to the nose if my hops are 'off'?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 12:14 AM   #2
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 236 Times on 211 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Vacuum packed, fairly new, don't sweat it, and use them. Pellets keep better than leaf anyway.

I think cheesy is a term some have used to describe stale hops. I don't think I have had any that bad in many years of brewing.

Old 11-26-2012, 01:31 AM   #3
CarnieBrew
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Thanks. Just opened them now and both packets smell the same, very strong floral/plant aroma, so I reckon they're all ok.

Quick Reply