Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Can I Rack?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2006, 12:33 PM   #1
WhatsOnTap
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Can I Rack?

Hey guys, I've got the newbie "itch after the pitch" and I'm wondering: If my airlock is down to 40 seconds between burps can I move my beer to the secondary? It's been in the primary for 7 days. Also, any thoughts on bentonite as a clarifier? If that's all I have should I use it by itself after racking to the secondary? Thanks in advance for the help...

Relentless pursuit of better beer

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2006, 12:48 PM   #2
loopmd

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Patience, Grasshopper

No problem racking to the secondary. It's been 7 days and as long as the krausen has fallen, get 'er off of it. As for clarifiers, I usually ask why you want to use it? The only reason I used it was for other people, and then I did not like the way it carbonated in the bottles, so I never use clarifying agents anymore. Leave it in the secondary longer if you want to clear your beer up more. (i know, it's patience, grasshopper!)

loop

Old 01-10-2006, 12:54 PM   #3
WhatsOnTap
Recipes 

Yeah, the only reason I wanted to use bentonite was to combat chill haze but it's not a huge issue to me anyway. If my buddies don't like the way it looks then it's just more for me, brutha! Well, thanks for the advice - I've gotta get to sterilizing!

Old 01-10-2006, 02:22 PM   #4
WhatsOnTap
Recipes 

Well, I got that batch into the secondary and everything seemed to be progressing great... I love the smell of a freshly opened fermenter! One question I did have was regarding airlocks. I noticed that sometimes with the pressure change of putting on or taking off the lid of a bucket-style fermenter, a little water (I don't use sanitizer in my airlock) gets sucked down into the tank. Does anyone else notice this phenomenon and if so, should I lose sleep over it at any point regarding infection?

Old 01-10-2006, 02:51 PM   #5
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

I don't think you have much to worry about, although I would avoid the practice in the future. I always remove my airlock and place it on a clean paper towel before I try to monkey with the lid on my bucket.

Old 01-10-2006, 03:08 PM   #6
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

I also remove the air lock when I'm removing/replacing the lid to avoid seal sucking and prevent the air lock from getting busted if the lid releases abruptly. A 99 cent paint bucket opener from Lowe's helped with the latter problem.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 01-10-2006, 06:49 PM   #7
loopmd

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

This has been talked about before too. Some people put cheap vodka in their airlock. I just do like the others and take the airlock out before I take the lid off.

loop

Quick Reply