Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Can I pull off an IPA in a month?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2009, 07:17 PM   #1
tidehouse
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Can I pull off an IPA in a month?

I want to have an IPA for a party on july 31st and plan to brew it this weekend. It'll be 9ish lbs LME 4 oz hops and wl005. I plan to make a starter to get things going, 1/2 gal growler big enough? My basement is about 66F right now. Think this is enough time? EDIT: Oh, and i'll keg and force carb

Last edited by tidehouse; 06-24-2009 at 07:19 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2009, 07:20 PM   #2
Brewsmith

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

If you keg it's plenty. If bottle conditioned, figure about 2 weeks in the fermenter and 2 in the bottle.

Fermenting:#160 Apollo/Calypso Pale Ale
Kegged:#153 Old Helicon Barleywine 2013, #157 Irish Red, #158 Mosaic IPA, #159 Bravo/Delta ESB
Up Next:Brown Porter, American Stout, Imperial Stout
My Recipes
Tuba Sonata

Smith & Co. Custom Tap Handles

Old 06-24-2009, 07:22 PM   #3
beerkrump
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

You bottling or kegging? If you're bottling, it'll be a little young.

I'd used WLP001, much cleaner and would need less time to loose any off flavors from the yeast.

Old 06-24-2009, 07:22 PM   #4
Trubadour
Recipes 

Yes, I've done a couple IPA's that were drinkable and very good at around 4 weeks. I'd say just don't go too high gravity

My Keezer

Old 06-24-2009, 07:23 PM   #5
tidehouse
Recipes 

Thanks, how about the starter size? 1/2 ok or overkill?

Old 06-24-2009, 07:26 PM   #6
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4273 Times on 3113 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Depends on the OG and the type of hops. It should be doable, with the right ingredients. I'd stay away from "harsher" hops like chinook, and use hops like amarillo, cascade, centennial, and maybe simcoe for an American IPA (I've never had simcoe when it's really young, but I'm assuming it'll still work).

An English IPA should be fine, since those hops aren't very harsh even when young.

Old 06-24-2009, 07:27 PM   #7
Trubadour
Recipes 

Honestly I don't recall making a starter for either of those beers. The Harpoon IPA clone I did, I used a Wyeast 1272 smack pack without a starter and went from 1.060 to 1.012 and in the keg in 3 weeks. It is probably the best beer I have ever brewed.

My Keezer

Old 06-24-2009, 07:38 PM   #8
Zen_Brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tidehouse View Post
Thanks, how about the starter size? 1/2 ok or overkill?
1/2 gallon (2000 ml) starter should be OK. 9 lbs of LME in a 5 gallon batch is probably gonna put your OG in the 1.065-1.070 area so you want a good starter. If you are using a stir plate you could probably get away with a 1000-1500 ml starter. With no stir plate the 2000ml is a decent bet with the heavier gravity.

I'd think you want about 2 cups of LME or DME in the starter of 1/2 gallon (OG about 1.040), and pitch it in the wort near peak activity which will be in the 24-36 hour range I would think.

The beer should be drinkable at 4 weeks, but is going to be a bit young. It would get better if it had another couple weeks to age.

Using the mind to look for reality is delusion. Using your senses to look for reality is awareness.

"One time I was so desperate for a beer I snuck into the football stadium and ate the dirt under the bleachers." Homer Simpson

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Hoppiness

Old 06-24-2009, 09:27 PM   #9
Makeyermark
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Personally, I would consider brewing something that doesn't need as much time to come of age. An IPA at 4 weeks will probably be a touch harsh on the hops bitterness and will taste a bit green. Hefe's are good summer brews and I think you could have a decent one ready by 07/31.

Just my $.02

Drinking: Store Bought
Bottle Conditioning: Band Aid Hefe
Secondary: Air
Primary: Austin Home Brew Blue Moon Clone

Old 06-25-2009, 01:46 AM   #10
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I did a double IPA with a starting OG of 1.070 and about 115 IBU's worth of hops. That was three weeks ago and I'll be drinking it on Saturday. I put it in primary for a week, dry hopped when it was done fermenting, left for an additional 7 days, and kegged last weekend. It will be ready by this Saturday easily. You'll have plenty of time if you plan on kegging it.

Another thing most people have pointed out is it will taste pretty harsh. The hops haven't had time to mellow yet, but that's what I like it my IPA's. I'll be hooking it up to my Randall and throwing another 3oz. of Centennial in it.

Another HERMS rig...

Quick Reply