Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Can I make a smaller batch in a 6.5 gallon carboy?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2007, 04:35 PM   #1
BoxerDog
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Can I make a smaller batch in a 6.5 gallon carboy?

Many of you are wondering why I want to make a smaller batch in my carboy, but I do not have enough bottles and I would prefer to do a smaller batch.

Will there be problems with doing a 3.5 batch in a 6.5 gallon carboy?

Primary Glass carboy: Hefe Weizen
Bottled: Porter
New to Brewing, I love it!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2007, 05:44 PM   #2
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1043 Times on 697 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Nope, go for it. The headspace will quickly fill with CO2 and you'll be fine. Now, if you plan to rack to secondary, I'd suggest doing so when your still have SOME bubbling going on just to be sure the headspace is purged of O2.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 04-02-2007, 07:16 PM   #3
knipknup
Bloody John Roberts
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

No but making one bigger than 6.5gal will be messy

If I were you, I'd take the bottle challenge... make a full 5 gallons of beer, then go out and buy some good microbrews (with non-twist tops) and try to empty them all by drinking before your brew is ready to bottle. Much more fun than making 3 gallons of brew...

Every pirate lives for something different. For some, it's the open sea. For others (the masochists), it's the food. For you, it's definitely the fighting. Two things complete your pirate persona: style and swagger. Maybe a little too much swagger sometimes -- but who really cares? Arr!

Quick Reply