Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Can I make beer from a Prickly Pear Cactus?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2012, 12:47 AM   #1
hippy_joe_cool
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Can I make beer from a Prickly Pear Cactus?

I know you can make it from the fruit from it, but can i use the whole cactus?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 12:48 AM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2725 Times on 1633 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Yes. Scroll down to the similar threads box below....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-05-2012, 12:51 AM   #3
hippy_joe_cool
Recipes 

Those are all about using the fruit. i want to use the whole cactus.

Old 12-05-2012, 12:56 AM   #4
Revvy

Recipes 

Isn't that like trying to use a whole apple tree to make strudel? Isn't it usually the fruit itself that contains the natural sugars, or the potential for natural sugars? When we make beer, we only use the heads of the plant, the grain itself, not the stalks......Is there much sugar in the cactus itself?

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-05-2012, 12:58 AM   #5
Revvy

Recipes 

I just did some googling, the ONLY part used in beer/winemaking is the fruit itself... no recipe I came across used any other part of it.

Old 12-05-2012, 01:01 AM   #6
HopSong

Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Off topic.. but, while I was have ing outpatient surgery today, I was looking at the posters in the lobby. Most, if not all, posters were about different root veggies and interesting things about them. One of the roods was Parsnip... I forget the other.. but in Ireland.. likely many years ago.. it was used to make beer. So, I guess you can make beer out of a ton of things including cactus. I was at a brewery in Phoenix last week.. they make a beer from prickly pear cactus. I don't remember what the brewer said.. but, I think it went into the primary.. crushed.

Old 12-05-2012, 01:14 AM   #7
Revvy

Recipes 

Evidently even Shiner makes a prickly pear beer.....but according to their website it's the fruit.

Just about anything organic can somehow be used in making alcohol, it's just that some of it is easier than others. Obviously anything that contains natural sugars, i.e the fruit of a plant can be used, that's obvious. Next comes something that might be higher in starch than sugar, but you can convert it, either by cereal mashing it, OR by roasting it. Corn can be fermented by mashing it. I'm drinking a sweet potato mead that was made with equal parts honey and sweet potatoes that I roasted, roasting concentrated the sugars in them.

THEN there are the things that may have some trace starch or sugar, but mostly can be used to flavor other fermentables.......I just posted yesterday about pea pod wine. I don't think they have a lot of natural sugar, but by boiling them with sugar, and adding raisins during fermentation it evidently manages to make a wine.

People have used all manner of stuff, even carrots to make hooch with.

Old 12-05-2012, 01:18 AM   #8
Zuljin
16%er
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3341 Times on 3086 Posts
Likes Given: 231

I was gonna say, Shiner did it, but they use the tunas. You want to use the nopales?

I suppose you can. I've eat them. They're okay, but kinda green tasting. Kinda planty, but in a unique way. They don't 'taste like' anything. They taste like nopales.

They get kinda slimy too, like okra. I wonder how that would ferment out, or not, and how it'd effect head.

Old 12-05-2012, 01:25 AM   #9
diturbe
Recipes 

I have actually had tuna pulque in Mexico (beer made with agave nectar). I have actually thought about buying the nectar and fermenting with a belgium yeast strain and adding tuna or mango juice to the secondary.

Old 12-05-2012, 01:29 AM   #10
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuljin View Post
I was gonna say, Shiner did it, but they use the tunas. You want to use the nopales?

I suppose you can. I've eat them. They're okay, but kinda green tasting. Kinda planty, but in a unique way. They don't 'taste like' anything. They taste like nopales.

They get kinda slimy too, like okra. I wonder how that would ferment out, or not, and how it'd effect head.
Maybe the Nopales could be treated like pea pods as done in this video, boiled with sugar to basically flavor other fermentables, and maybe drain some sugars from the pulp.

This is the most BORING video I have ever seen, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diturbe View Post
I have actually had tuna pulque in Mexico (beer made with agave nectar). I have actually thought about buying the nectar and fermenting with a belgium yeast strain and adding tuna or mango juice to the secondary.
Where exactly is the nectar drawn from? Isn't it from the fruit, or is it like maple sap, drawn from the cactus itself?

Quick Reply