Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Can I break my wort into 2 different fermenters?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2013, 01:45 AM   #11
bacchusmj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 4 Posts

a good trick for splitting wort is to just use a whirlpool and a sanitary plastic pitcher. Pour alternating pitcher fulls of wort into each fermenter so each has an equal amount from both the bottom and the top of the kettle. I just recently split a porter into 2.5g batches and added almond to one and vanilla to another, both were good and had an equal amount of trub when it was all said and done.

Old 03-22-2013, 02:55 AM   #12
pfgonzo
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Which flavor profile did you prefer, out of curiosity?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2013, 03:53 AM   #13
GnarlyDudeBrewer
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

How much almond or vanilla do you add?

Old 03-22-2013, 03:54 AM   #14
BGBC
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 621 Times on 447 Posts
Likes Given: 523

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnarlyDudeBrewer
That solves one problem. Now the next.
Do I siphon the fermented beer from the fermenting buckets to the bottling bucket or gently pour? If i do siphon is the goal to siphon just above the bottom to minimize bits of trub from getting into the bottles? On a side note, I've read here that some pour the wort or the fermented through a screen. Which is preferred?

Gnarl.
When you're ready to bottle, siphon from the fermenters to the bottling bucket. Don't pour it, it's beer at this point and you want to minimize the oxidation risk.

When putting the wort into the fermenter (pre-fermentation), you want to aerate it so the yeast has a good supply of oxygen at the start. Pouring the wort through a screen not only filters it but also aerates it. You can also vigorously stir or rock your fermenters to get air into the beer, or pour the wort between two sanitized buckets several times. There are other methods too, but they would involve additional equipment.
Bottled/Drinking: Apfelwein, Leaping Goats Coffee Brown Ale (v1 & v2), Anniversary Barleywine, High Ground Gose, Vanilla Rhubarb Mead, Sour Blackberry Cider, Dos Caldera Porter (plain & whiskey versions), Evolution of Funk (Vol. 1)
Primary/Secondary: Evolution of Funk (Brett Saison mini-solera), BRB Melomel, Red River (Flanders) Red, Wild Cider, Frankencyser
GnarlyDudeBrewer Likes This 
Old 03-22-2013, 06:12 PM   #15
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 613 Times on 355 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnarlyDudeBrewer View Post
That solves one problem. Now the next.
Do I siphon the fermented beer from the fermenting buckets to the bottling bucket or gently pour? If i do siphon is the goal to siphon just above the bottom to minimize bits of trub from getting into the bottles? On a side note, I've read here that some pour the wort or the fermented through a screen. Which is preferred?

Gnarl.
I use a simple clothes line clip to suspend the racking cane tip above the sludge. When the beer level gets low, tip the carboy (or bucket) slightly with a small 2x4 (or something) under one side, so the beer pools in the "corner" of the bottom and you get all the beer out.
ris_995.jpg  
BGBC Likes This 

Quick Reply