The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Can I bottle now?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2013, 09:17 PM   #1
erbo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Can I bottle now?

Hello, just looking for some opinions here. It's my first batch.. Brewer's Best Double IPA. OG was about 1.080 (which was normal). The brew went well, and the batch has been in my primary fermenting bucket for about 2.5 weeks. (since the instructions didn't call for dry hopping, some people recommended that I skip the secondary fermentation, so I did.). The temp has been right around the mid-high 60's for the entire time. No air lock activity for a week.

I checked the FG today and it was 1.011, which is lower than the expected FG of 1.05-1.09. So I'm assuming that my beer is completely done fermenting.... Or it's infected. But I tasted it and thought it actually tasted pretty good!

I'm hesitant to let it continue to sit on the yeast, so I'm wondering if I can just bottle it now and let it sit for at least 3 weeks in the bottles? Thoughts? Thanks you.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2013, 09:24 PM   #2
NTXBrauer
Prosit!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I believe you meant 1.015-1.019 for the target FG. It will not hurt your beer to sit on the yeast for a few more days. Your FG is just slightly lower than 1.015. I try to hold off for at least 3 weeks before bottling, to allow the yeast to clean up a bit.

Old 10-07-2013, 09:36 PM   #3
erbo
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTXBrauer View Post
I believe you meant 1.015-1.019 for the target FG. It will not hurt your beer to sit on the yeast for a few more days. Your FG is just slightly lower than 1.015. I try to hold off for at least 3 weeks before bottling, to allow the yeast to clean up a bit.
Sorry, yes I meant 1.015-1.019.
Unfortunately I'm in a tough place with time. I'm out out town for the next almost week. So I can bottle today (at 17 days past brewing), or bottle next Sunday night (which would be 23 days past brewing). I guess I figured that since my FG was on the low side, it'd be ready to go.

And to that point, any idea why it's coming in low after a couple weeks?

Old 10-07-2013, 09:42 PM   #4
BlackGoat
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Was it an extract recipe? You don't really need to worry about getting the beer off the yeast if that is what your concern is, it can stay there for weeks and weeks without having that be an issue. If you're in a hurry to bottle it because you're anxious (we all were on our first batches) then you're probably fine but you really should do another gravity reading a day or two apart from the last one to make sure that the gravity has stabilized at 1.011.

Primary: English Gold
Secondary: 2013 Dark Stock (on oak), Wee Heavy on oak
Bottled: Sir Suspicious Oatmeal Stout, Victorious Brown Ale, Wee Rambunctious Scotch/Belgian Hybrid

Old 10-07-2013, 09:48 PM   #5
erbo
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackGoat View Post
Was it an extract recipe? You don't really need to worry about getting the beer off the yeast if that is what your concern is, it can stay there for weeks and weeks without having that be an issue. If you're in a hurry to bottle it because you're anxious (we all were on our first batches) then you're probably fine but you really should do another gravity reading a day or two apart from the last one to make sure that the gravity has stabilized at 1.011.
Yes, it was an extract recipe. I'm definitely anxious... But I'm more concerned about a better end product. If I should bottle a week from today, then no problem. Unfortunately it either has to be today or a week from today (due to travel). I guess I'm more concerned about my FG coming in a bit low (predicting over 9% abv)... And I thought maybe it'd be wise to get it out of the bucket, assuming it is 'done.' But this is all pretty new to me, so I'm trying to learn from the experts! Thank you.

Old 10-07-2013, 09:52 PM   #6
doornumber3
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 4

If you are unsure if its done wait til next weekend. It will be fine.

Primary: Dirty Penny Scottish Ale
Bottled: DogFish Head 90 Minute IPA
Drinking: Raspberry Wheat, Magic Hat 9, Oatmeal stout

Old 10-07-2013, 09:54 PM   #7
BlackGoat
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Don't worry about the FG coming in a few points under, that could have to do with you having a bit too much top-up water in it or something...its 4 points, that is not a sign of a big problem. For most of my ales, I tend to leave them in primary for about 3+ weeks before bottling, and for higher gravity beers I tend to lean toward a full month in primary. I have no doubt that your fermentation is complete and you can bottle, but if its not a biggy for you to wait another week, I would probably just do that.

Primary: English Gold
Secondary: 2013 Dark Stock (on oak), Wee Heavy on oak
Bottled: Sir Suspicious Oatmeal Stout, Victorious Brown Ale, Wee Rambunctious Scotch/Belgian Hybrid

Old 10-07-2013, 10:03 PM   #8
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1826 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 1295

1.011 isn't lower than (if you meant)1.005-1.009. The lower the number,the lower the gravity. Against an OG of 1.080,that's bloody good. If the FG is stable (tested 2-3 days apart,then it's good to go.

Old 10-07-2013, 10:04 PM   #9
erbo
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Ok, that's what I needed to hear - thanks everyone!

I'll bottle in a week, and I'm hoping it's a hit (or at least just drinkable!)

Old 10-07-2013, 10:07 PM   #10
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1826 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 1295

It'll be fine. It'll have time to finish & clean up by products of fermentation & settle out clear or slightly misty by then.

Quick Reply