Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Can I bottle condition in a growler

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2013, 08:18 AM   #41
gordbot
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

If I end up with too much beer and not enough bottles and I'm really desperate, I usually dump one of my wife's bottles of Club Soda / Diet Coke from the fridge, and buy it back later. The PET bottles are definitely built for carbonation, since it's original contents are far more carbed than your beer. If it contained something like Coke, it's practically disinfected already, since nothing survives in that acidity.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2013, 02:09 PM   #42
Aileen
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

I'm getting ready to bottle a batch and have a new stainless steel growler I'm planning on using. My only concern is that the lid (screw top) won't hold the carbonation well enough. I'm still going to try it, though!
I have a couple of glass growlers but I don't trust them, and after reading this thread I'm definitely not going to use them.

Old 07-18-2013, 04:51 AM   #43
tekrytor
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickman6 View Post
I wouldn't, and here's why:

I had a gallon glass wine jug explode from the pressure of fermentation, cutting my calf muscle just above my Achilles.

I know others do condition in growlers, but to me its not worth it.
I lived in Germany for teen years and can tell you that the Grolch style flip tops were used for decades before bottle caps became popular and are still preferred by some brewers in Europe. I also doubt that a wine jug is made to handle the same pressure as a beer bottle. That may have been the problem. I would be careful using wine bottles. Champaign bottles, probably OK. But I'm new to all this brew-haw What do I know?
I hope you don't suffer any permanent harm from your injuries!

Old 07-18-2013, 08:10 PM   #44
Kozzer
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I asked this same question about a month ago (after I had bought some 64oz growlers), was thoroughly persuaded not to do this. I returned them and instead got a bunch of 32oz & 16oz grolsch swing-top bottles and am very happy with those! Every time I pop one open I am glad I followed the advice considering how much pressure was being released.

Batch #22 ~ Mosaic SMaSH [AG] ~ Brewed 5/4 ~ consuming

Batch #23 ~ Summer Solstice IPA (Centennial/Amarillo/Mosaic) [AG] ~ Brewed 5/18 ~ bottle conditioning

Batch #24 ~ Nutty Brunette Nut Brown Ale [AG] ~ Brewed 6/7 ~ primary fermentation

Old 08-06-2013, 09:29 AM   #45
Hoptimistic
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 204

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heflover View Post
Yes. I have not tried with a screw top but it works fine with the Grolsch-style tops. In fact I think it tastes better because you get more beer pouring out that is not mixed up with yeast at the bottom of the glass.
I have hear that the screw tops are about 50?50 bottle bombs

Old 08-06-2013, 09:37 AM   #46
Clef051
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 14

it has worked for me. I've ran out of cleaned/sanitized bottles when bottling before and ended up using a growler before, it carbed ok.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:25 AM   #47
BeerLoverHere
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 8

No; don't do it; if you do, be very careful when handling it; I had some leftover beer to bottle but ran out of bottles a few yeas ago, so I used the only thing I had left: a growler. After conditioning, I was rearranging my beer closet around. Within a minute after picking it up and putting it right back down again, it burst. What a mess!! Glass fragments everywhere. I think I created a lot of extra pressure when I picked it up, put it back down. I stirred it up.

Old 08-06-2013, 11:45 PM   #48
loudmouthbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default I was one of the lucky ones...

Quote:

I'm going to have to agree... While conditioning in a (swing top) growler is theoretically no different than conditioning in a smaller swing top "Grolsch" bottle the potential for disaster far out weighs the benefits.

Small bottle exploding = scared wife.
Growler exploding = wife bans homebrewing (-and/or trip to the hospital.)

I was one of the lucky ones... I caught a batch going bad before "detonation." However having to open the over pressurized growler to dump the brew was enough to scare me away.

-cheers

Old 08-28-2013, 11:04 PM   #49
trbig
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
I wouldn't, and here's why:

Attachment 134195

I had a gallon glass wine jug explode from the pressure of fermentation, cutting my calf muscle just above my Achilles.

OK.. Tell the truth. What hurt worse: The injury, or the loss of a gallon of wine?

Try to be the person your dog thinks you are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgr View Post
Sorry if I'm rambling. Vicodin, Flexeril, mead and rice wine are a nasty combination. I highly recommend it.

Old 08-29-2013, 02:36 AM   #50
schematix
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 15

After racking to a keg I would always run the leftovers into a growler. After doing this a dozen times my experience was that I could never get a high enough level of carbonation from the beer. If i put enough sugar it to actually get it where i wanted it, it would leak under the cap and the resulting beer would be flat.

And every time you poured the growler it would get stirred up so it was more or less a 1 tilt to fill a few glasses, and those last few were yeasty!

So I'd recommend against it personally. Not worth the trouble.

Quick Reply