*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Can I bottle condition in a growler

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2013, 11:03 PM   #1
Dustinj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Can I bottle condition in a growler

Just got a growler or beer while in salt lake city. Can I use it for my next one gal brew instead of my grolsch bottles. It's screw top so that may be a problem. Also. If its one fizzy tab to 12oz then Would I use 5 for 64? Next brew is a 1 gal extract kit of caribou slobber.

Thanks

Old 07-09-2013, 11:05 PM   #2
Heflover
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yes. I have not tried with a screw top but it works fine with the Grolsch-style tops. In fact I think it tastes better because you get more beer pouring out that is not mixed up with yeast at the bottom of the glass.

Old 07-09-2013, 11:05 PM   #3
Hopper5000
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 48

i think most people's advice on here would be no because the caps are pretty thin on those types of growlers and you might blow it.

However, i have not personally tried carbing in a growler so I can't officially comment but that would be my worry

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2013, 11:06 PM   #4
mdgagne
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts

They're not really meant to hold pressures needed to carb beer.

Old 07-09-2013, 11:21 PM   #5
Dustinj
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Yea the screw top was my worry. I've got enough grolsch bottles. I'll go that way until its conditioned then move it to the growler. That sound ok?

Old 07-09-2013, 11:23 PM   #6
jbaysurfer
Former future HOF Brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 443 Times on 337 Posts
Likes Given: 722

It's not rated for pressure. There was a thread just a few days ago about a guy doing that who's growler cracked and he lost half his batch.

Is it a swingtop? While I believe they also are not rated for pressure, I'd wager a swingtop will hold pressure better then a screw top.

First Brew was thanksgiving 2011, I'm at 96 batches and counting (as of 8/31/2014), and ran out of room in my signature to list them all.

Ygg Likes This 
Old 07-10-2013, 02:16 PM   #7
Heflover
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The swing tops are very strong. I bottle conditioned in a Grolsch bottle and over-carbed. It might have been in the bottle six weeks. One night I heard breaking glass and I checked the cabinet... The bottle exploded. I.e. the glass broke before the top failed.

Old 07-10-2013, 02:23 PM   #8
dand
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Well, i just heard about not using growlers today in this thread, but i haven't had any problems yet. I have 4 growlers with festabrew wheat and 2 with brewhouse blonde ale and i haven't had any explode. I have the black plastic caps with the clear plastic cone shape on the inside.
When i opened the ones i have drank it was a little hard to get the cap off, and i did notice that there wasn't as much of a fizz sound as bottles of the same batch. I also noticed that the beer was a little less carbed than the bottles.
Is it possible that this type of cap actually let excess pressure out? Personally i can't see the glass breaking before the plastic cap gave out, but a metal cap would be a different story.

Old 07-10-2013, 02:42 PM   #9
Fastpony58
Recipes 

I've attempted bottle conditioning my brew in growlers. Haven't blow any up, but I'm having a hard time getting carbonation in any of them. I've done this with about 4 batches. After the first batch I made sure very carefully that the screw top was tight. Then on other batches I attempted to Saran Wrap of cap, and another I tried to data wrap a gasket to the cap. No luck for me, so I'm giving up on them.

Old 07-10-2013, 02:54 PM   #10
wickman6
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 95

I wouldn't, and here's why:

20130601_170719.jpg

I had a gallon glass wine jug explode from the pressure of fermentation, cutting my calf muscle just above my Achilles.

I know others do condition in growlers, but to me its not worth it.

My wife is like a well crafted beer...bitter, yet sweet enough to balance perfectly!

People Like This 

Quick Reply