Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Can I adjust final gravity by adding more water??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2010, 07:54 PM   #1
jamesjensen1068
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Can I adjust final gravity by adding more water??

Made my first batch TrueBrew Brown Ale. OG 1.044, after 10 days in primary the gravity is at 1.020. Will not bottle until 2 weeks. Will recheck to make sure fermintation is done, etc.

Here is my question. I started with a little less than 5 gallons of water. Didn't take into consideration the water loss (evaporation) with boiling the wort. If I were to top off to the 5 gallon mark with sterile water, would that change the final gravity?

Thanks in advance to any who respond.

Cheers

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2010, 07:55 PM   #2
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4695 Times on 4350 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Yes...........

Old 01-21-2010, 08:07 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Yes it will. I'm one of those that would rather have the original sized batch I fermented at the correct gravity, rather than dillute my already fermented beer.

This is not the only batch you are ever going to brew, so this little half gallon won't really matter in the long run.

Plus there is always a risk in doing something like this, EVEN if you use sanitized water....

Just enjoy what you got.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-21-2010, 08:14 PM   #4
iswenson
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

What do you typically fill the fermentor to (Im assuming partial boil so adding water at the end) before you pitch? Is it okay to fill to 5.5~5.75 gallon such that after fermentation you will have 5 gallons?

Old 01-21-2010, 08:18 PM   #5
springer

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iswenson View Post
What do you typically fill the fermentor to (Im assuming partial boil so adding water at the end) before you pitch? Is it okay to fill to 5.5~5.75 gallon such that after fermentation you will have 5 gallons?
1/2 gallon over is fine

'The taxpayer: That's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination.'- Ronald Reagan

Last edited by springer; 01-21-2010 at 08:30 PM. Reason: quote didnt show up

Old 01-21-2010, 08:28 PM   #6
Jknapp
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yes - you definately can add water, but I wouldn't. As has already been said, what you have will be great.

But, the numbers don't look right to me: at 10 days, starting at .044 now at .020 seems like fermentation could have stalled. That's only 54% attenuation.

Unless you mashed really high, or the ferment has been cold, I can't see why it hasn't fermented lower unless it simply isn't done yet..

When taking your hydro readings, did you adjust for the temp of the wort/beer at time of reading?

Old 01-21-2010, 08:30 PM   #7
jamesjensen1068
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Maybe I asked this the wrong way: Here is my question

The instructions say the OG should be 1.043 to 1.045, it started at 1.044 - good start!

Final gravity should be 1.010 to 1.012, I'm only sitting at 1.020. Wondering if I top off to the 5 gallon mark with water would that get me down to the suggested FG.

I wouldn't be concerned with getting a full 5 gallons if my FG was correct. I just want the best beer I can make, no matter what volume.

Thanks again for the help.

Last edited by jamesjensen1068; 01-21-2010 at 08:33 PM.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:32 PM   #8
springer

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

Was this an extract ?

Reason I ask is if it was extract and you had less water used or evaporated off to much your OG would have been higher than the recipe calls for.

'The taxpayer: That's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination.'- Ronald Reagan

Last edited by springer; 01-21-2010 at 08:35 PM.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:33 PM   #9
maida7
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesjensen1068 View Post
Maybe I asked this the wrong way: Here is my question

The instructions say the OG should be 1.043 to 1.045, I started at 1.044. Final gravity should be 1.010 to 1.012, I'm only sitting at 1.020. Wondering if I top off to the 5 gallon mark with water would that get me down to the suggested FG

Thanks again for the help
I don't think it will taste good.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:37 PM   #10
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Dilluting it's not going to get it to your final gravity in a way that will taste good. At 10 days it's not surprising that you are only on the cusp of terminal gravity. Rather than adding water, just swirl the fermenter to bring the yeast back up into suspension and warm the fermenter up a bit. Wrap it in a sleeping bag or blanket. And check back on it in another week.

There's nothing wrong with 1.020, if it's done, it's done...but do what I suggest and take a look later.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply