Last week to Enter the Spike Brewing 20 Gallon Sight Glass Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Can i add zest to primary

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2013, 02:21 PM   #1
dirtybasementbrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 187 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Default Can i add zest to primary

Hi everyone I'm fairly new at the home brew thing. Is it ok for me to to add zest of fruit to my primary? I don't want to make a fruit beer but a subtle hint of lime or lemon would be nice. Oh by the way I'm making a basic ale, if that makes a difference

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2013, 03:00 PM   #2
dg35884
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I would think that primary fermentation might be to rough if you are looking for a little aroma too. I would say if you were looking for flavor maybe add it to the boil at the end or add it to secondary for more aroma. I'm pretty new too but I believe that's the best way to go about it.

Old 02-07-2013, 03:48 PM   #3
m_c_zero
Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 207

I added orange zest to a beer in the past and I ended up boiling the orange peel in a bit of water then strained it and dumped the zested water into the primary. I would think putting zest into the primary and leaving it in there would be a bit overpowering.

Old 02-07-2013, 04:28 PM   #4
dirtybasementbrew
Recipes 

Thanks, I'm really struggling with flavoring. I just bottled a chili ale and I put way too much jalapeño for way too long! Tastes like liquid fire

Old 02-07-2013, 04:31 PM   #5
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 503 Times on 465 Posts
Likes Given: 226

I have had the best results with zest being added to the secondary vessel after fermentation has completed. I would recommend at least 2 lemons to start and soak the zest in a bit of Vodka before adding to sanitize them.

Be careful when zesting to avoid any of the pith or white part as that can be quite bitter.

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 02-07-2013, 04:38 PM   #6
Chris7687
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I did a orange hefe' just 2 weeks ago. Added 4 large oranges worth of zest to the last 5 minutes of the boil. Drank it about 2 weeks later and it was a hit at a party. The keg was tapped in a matter of 2 hours. It was a subtle orange, not over powering. Less orange flavoring than blue moon, but could still taste the orange with the yeast flavors of the hefe.

If you are already fermenting I would recommend the secondary though. Soak the lemons/limes in vinegar/water solution for 5 minutes to clean them, then zest, then soak zest in just enough vodka to cover the zest overnight, pour all the zest and vokda into the secondary.

Old 02-07-2013, 04:53 PM   #7
dirtybasementbrew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris7687
I did a orange hefe' just 2 weeks ago. Added 4 large oranges worth of zest to the last 5 minutes of the boil. Drank it about 2 weeks later and it was a hit at a party. The keg was tapped in a matter of 2 hours. It was a subtle orange, not over powering. Less orange flavoring than blue moon, but could still taste the orange with the yeast flavors of the hefe.

If you are already fermenting I would recommend the secondary though. Soak the lemons/limes in vinegar/water solution for 5 minutes to clean them, then zest, then soak zest in just enough vodka to cover the zest overnight, pour all the zest and vokda into the secondary.
So, would you recommend trying a wit, or is it the same trying to add to an ale?

Old 02-07-2013, 04:55 PM   #8
dirtybasementbrew
Recipes 

So would you recommend experimenting with a wit type of beer or is it the same for an ale

Quick Reply